Votes: 28 52.8%
  • No

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Only for Board competitions

Votes: 9 17.0%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 15344

Played many a time with people that are happy to share clubs to hit and offering advice about swings.

I don’t think I have ever seen anyone share clubs in any Comp I have played but if someone wanted to “cheat” then they could do that regardless of who they were playing with. It’s the whole generic suggestion that non drawn is some cheats charter. It’s a poor generalisation based on flimsy if any evidence to back it up

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Just out of curiosity if a comp is drawn do you get to choose a rough time play? Or is it just pot luck.

I've only ever played non drawn so you just put your name down on a timeslot and you can play with mate's or complete strangers

Green Man

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have a mixture. Saturday comps you put your name in a slot and that is where you play. Sunday is the most popular day. On sundays you enter your name in 40 minute slots and the groups are drawn out.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I wouldn't go as far as Ken, but there are potential issues - rules for example - if the same 4-ball play together week in and week out. We have 2 clubs at our place, our club have all comps drawn, the other doesn't. At the other club, there is always idle talk about certain groups. There may be nothing to it, but drawn comps would go a long way to stifle rumours. As another poster has said, a method can be devised to allow friends to play together.

Many years ago when I was at Wimbledon Common we had a 4 handicapper who would always play with two senior citizens in every comp. Seemed a bit weird he wouldn't want to play with younger, better golfers and he always seemed to do well, certainly in the 2 pots etc. Rumours started to surface about being able to hit it into the trees and always find it and always have a swing. Eventually the captain and some committee went out and followed him and saw him putting balls down and it was evident the old boys couldn't keep up with him and so could never see what happened. He disappeared from the scene pretty quickly after it all came out

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whilst I voted for trophy events it's not even all of those.

But, you can onlyenter your own name in any comp - and whilst obviously people can book in together if organised it's not unknown for the committee to adjust people from time to time!

Generally player 2 will select their time to play with someone they like, if possible, then player 3 will try and do likewise! However anyone is free to select a time, or game, they wish and new players haven't any practical issues at all (although there are always perceptions) especially as all comps are currently oversubscried.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
At our club (and I think in most German golf clubs), comps are usually drawn. It is only a few special ones where you get to chose the people you want to play with. At our club, "drawn" does not necessarily mean a complete random draw, though. Our office staff puts a lot of effort into it and for example makes sure that couples or other family members usually going to the golf club together will end up in consecutive groups, to avoid waiting times etc. Also they normally try to send out quicker players first (they've been doing this job for years and years ... they know most of the regular players pretty well) and also to accommodate any special wishes for early/late tee times etc.

The cool thing about the randomness is that you get to know quite a few players at your club that way. Especially for newcomers it is a good way to get integrated quickly. Of course, you might sometimes end up in a group with someone you don't like, but I find that most of the time I enjoy the company.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
All are drawn within certain constraints....players can ask for an early, middle or late tee time and there are groups of golfers who like to play as a bloc who will all put themselves down for an early time....but the actuall allocation of players to tee times within the early/late/middle block is random.

There has to be some common sense used in the draw process....its no use drawing a couple who turn up in the same car and giving them tee times that are 2 hours apart for example!!!

I couldn't imagine being at a club where folks put their names down to play with the same fellas every week.

D

Deleted member 17920

Drawn for all comps barring some stablefords.

I like the idea of drawn comps so you do get to meet new people and I have seen that regularly at our place, we do have a good induction system for new members but the comps really do help.

I know the feeling of getting drawn with someone you are not keen on but I look at is a positive and try and see them in a different light and try and enjoy the round and see if I can change my opinion.

Also big thing for me is the fact 3 or 4 people regularly play together, some rules knowledge goes a miss, I have seen that at other clubs, nothing major cheating wise but easy free drops when it shouldn’t have been as no one would say no as they are Bessie mates, also seen a putt holes on the green for a birdie with the flag in and nothing said 🤐

D

Deleted member 16999

Played many a time with people that are happy to share clubs to hit and offering advice about swings.
And YOU are at fault if you didn’t pull them up on it.

D

Deleted member 16999

I wouldn't go as far as Ken, but there are potential issues - rules for example - if the same 4-ball play together week in and week out. We have 2 clubs at our place, our club have all comps drawn, the other doesn't. At the other club, there is always idle talk about certain groups. There may be nothing to it, but drawn comps would go a long way to stifle rumours. As another poster has said, a method can be devised to allow friends to play together.
Potential for that to happen in drawn comps, ie, newbie hasn’t got a clue and cheats take advantage of that or weak person afraid to speak up to a bully.
We can all come up with scenarios that work to prove either way.
I’ve been a member of clubs that have do either way and found that people who know each other are more likely to question or to question each other if there is doubt.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Drawn for all comps barring some stablefords.

I like the idea of drawn comps so you do get to meet new people and I have seen that regularly at our place, we do have a good induction system for new members but the comps really do help.

I know the feeling of getting drawn with someone you are not keen on but I look at is a positive and try and see them in a different light and try and enjoy the round and see if I can change my opinion.

Also big thing for me is the fact 3 or 4 people regularly play together, some rules knowledge goes a miss, I have seen that at other clubs, nothing major cheating wise but easy free drops when it shouldn’t have been as no one would say no as they are Bessie mates, also seen a putt holes on the green for a birdie with the flag in and nothing said 🤐
At my last club, only the club champs was drawn, when we did a rules night, the scores were shocking!!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
at my last club most comps were drawn, you put your name down in an hourly slot on the sign up sheet, this worked really well imo

did come across a pair in a better ball comp who wanted to play together each week in comps and took all of 2 holes to see why as rules were clearly optional for each other

personally prefer drawn comps (im the nomadic sort who joins a club knowing next to no one, as i did there and will do down here next year i expect), mainly as it makes it far easier to play with a wide range of people quickly and integrate into a club, i also think it helps keep the very small minority who need keeping in check there at least to some degree

D

Deleted member 16999

Typical, I actually said YOU were at fault IF you didn’t pull them up, I gave you the benefit of the doubt and you answered as you did, maybe you should take head out your backside and read what is actually posted.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
All of ours are drawn. I think it's 50 minute sections you can choose.

I personally don't mind it and it does have the benefit of getting to know other members. Also means the same guys don't always get the same tee times and it does mean there is that bit less opportunity for any pals that may give each other soft rulings or turn a blind eye to any handicap manipulation.

Also, it would probably be possible to mostly get an afternoon time and play with your mate as the tees are often not fully subscribed.

I've played at a previous club that didn't have drawn medals and inevitably the same groups would go out together and some guys would actually go and both remove themselves from a tee time if they were playing with someone they didn't want to play with and put in an afternoon time together. Not nice and unnecessary. And who knows, maybe they were keeping a few big numbers off their cards.

D

Deleted member 16999

I would suggest the majority of weekend golfers only get to play golf 1 day a week, pay a lot of money to do that, balance family life and after working all week we are now questioning why they would want to spend 4hrs in the company of friends.

Life’s really too short and 99.9% of us play golf to relax and have fun.

Sadly as soon as drawn competitions are mentioned the integrity of some people is questioned, it’s all rumour and whispers and based on hearsay.

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
All are drawn within certain constraints....players can ask for an early, middle or late tee time and there are groups of golfers who like to play as a bloc who will all put themselves down for an early time....but the actuall allocation of players to tee times within the early/late/middle block is random.

There has to be some common sense used in the draw process....its no use drawing a couple who turn up in the same car and giving them tee times that are 2 hours apart for example!!!

I couldn't imagine being at a club where folks put their names down to play with the same fellas every week.
My previous club was exactly like this and to be honest I preferred it by far I enjoy playing with different people of all ability’s and you get to really know everyone in the club,I got friends who won’t play with random people mind because they go to bits in front of others in this format.My current club you put your name down and select where you want to go but the same names stick together week in week out .

My father a well respected 7 handicapper actually left my current club as a result of the same names sticking together in comps because he felt a fair few of them were actually bending the rules to suit .

Last edited: