Draw Bias Drivers

Wilf

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi,

Just wondering what peoples thoughts were on draw bias drivers and if any use them? I am debating trying them out to see if they help manage my natural shot shape.

I am a natural fader of the ball probably due in no small fact to having been an opening bat who's favourite shot was a cover drive. My shape with a driver is various gradual stages of fade to slice depending on how good a swing I put on it with all the usual characteristics of heel strikes / open club face etc etc.

As a disclaimer in an ideal world I would like to get a series of lessons and I know a bad swing is a bad swing and a draw driver doesn't = no slice. I'm not looking to turn a fade into a draw but I am at a stage where I only play at weekends and have very little time to practice any other time so attempting to bed in major swing changes isn't really viable, so I was wondered if a draw driver might help make things a little more manageable working with what I've got accepting everything will still go right just maybe not quite as far right.

I have had a sort of quick fix lesson with my pro on a grip tweak and a couple of swing feels working within my time restrictions which has helped reduce the big misses was just wondering if the tech would help me as well.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would say a draw bias is just that, a bias. It wont turn a fade into a straight shot unless it is the most gentlest of fades. There is no harm in giving one a go but don't expect a radical change in shot shape.

One to try for you. Try turning the club head in, closing it, when you set up to drive the ball. Not completely but quite markedly. Then hit the ball normally. That might cancel it out. You will be manually doing what a draw bias driver will do. It can mess with your head a bit as you think you will hook the ball but hit it normally and see what happens with your natural shape (commit to it is the phrase they use on the tv).

The above is just advice based on your disclaimer (ie the real answer is a lesson but I get where you are at (y))

Wilf

Club Champion
Visit site
I would say a draw bias is just that, a bias. It wont turn a fade into a straight shot unless it is the most gentlest of fades. There is no harm in giving one a go but don't expect a radical change in shot shape.

One to try for you. Try turning the club head in, closing it, when you set up to drive the ball. Not completely but quite markedly. Then hit the ball normally. That might cancel it out. You will be manually doing what a draw bias driver will do. It can mess with your head a bit as you think you will hook the ball but hit it normally and see what happens with your natural shape (commit to it is the phrase they use on the tv).

The above is just advice based on your disclaimer (ie the real answer is a lesson but I get where you are at (y))
Thanks will give that a try

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
They do work, but not miracles. I have the G410 SFT. I would say if you hit a huge slice, it won't help you that much. But if you have more of a strong fade, it will definitely turn it into a more gentle and manageable fade. (That's pretty much what it did for me.)

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
How do your shots start, straight or to the right? If they start to the right & fade this shows that the swing path is in to out & the face is open in relation to the swing path at impact. If this is the case a draw bias driver will square up the face & you'll get a straight push or possibly a draw. If the ball starts straight & goes right the face is square to the target & open to the swing path at impact. In this case a draw bias driver is likely to give you a straight pull left. You'll need to square up your swing path to correct this.

In any event, strengthening the grip by moving the hands clockwise on the grip will have the same effect as a draw bias driver. They're a waste of time in my view.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I had a draw bias callaway rogue and I can't honestly say it helped all that much, I was still capable of finding the next fairway over to the right (or left if I pushed it). When that broke, I replaced it with a normal epic flash and didn't find it to be much different with the weight shifted to the draw setting.

Since then I had lessons and spent about 20 mins looking at my driver swing. In putting the lessons learnt into practice (mostly on the course) I've managed to lock in a controlled fade but reduce my miss to a push left. Its gone from being an absolute liability of a club that I dreaded getting out the bag to probably one of my strongest.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
An adjustable one might be the answer.
You can have it on draw bias , but if you improve your path in time you can adjust the head and won’t need a new driver.

Wilf

Club Champion
Visit site
How do your shots start, straight or to the right? If they start to the right & fade this shows that the swing path is in to out & the face is open in relation to the swing path at impact. If this is the case a draw bias driver will square up the face & you'll get a straight push or possibly a draw. If the ball starts straight & goes right the face is square to the target & open to the swing path at impact. In this case a draw bias driver is likely to give you a straight pull left. You'll need to square up your swing path to correct this.

In any event, strengthening the grip by moving the hands clockwise on the grip will have the same effect as a draw bias driver. They're a waste of time in my view.
Hi Thanks, to be honest I can do both but in the main it is a start right and fade as one of the feels my pro got me doing was to cure the out to in (over the top) feeling.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
that's still a high left elbow and a quiet bottom hand in my batting, think I need to start thinking cow corner (y):sneaky:
Mate I play golf with has just one cricket shot, cow corner, yet when he plays golf he has a perfect extra cover drive. He even holds the pose whilst the ball heads off into the trees.:eek::)

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm currently using the Ping G SFT ( predecessor of the G400 and G425). Used it for a few years now and really happy with it. Although I tend to draw the ball anyway my bad shot has been a high fade so loss of yards as well as ending up in the rough is a pain. The SFT manages to take the sting out of the bad strike. For my last two rounds I have hit 26 fairways out of 30 so I'm happy to let the driver do most of the hard work. At 60 I'm not really inclined to go to the range to sort things out unless my game really falls apart. I've also compared my SFT with my now retired Callaway Big Bertha driver. The results are sufficiently different to warrant keeping with the Ping.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

Hmmm. The ball will go in the direction that the club face is "facing" at the moment of impact.
If you are coming to the ball outside to in, and your face is pointing to 10 o 'clock ( if a straight hit was 12 o'clock), then it will be a helluva pull!.?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
All I can say is that, for the most part, the G425 SFT has allowed Fragger the pleasure of walking on short grass....
He can still slice the bejeezus out of it but, mostly, they're straighter.
The guy on TXG reckoned the furthest right he could hit the 425 SFT was 30 yards left...