Draw bias driver

Fore Man

Visit site
Hi everyone,

I've always struggled with a slice on my driver. I've had a number of lessons and still struggle with this.

I've decided to invest in a draw bias driver and had the g400 sft (£279) and Rogue draw (£279) in mind. I've also just noticed that the Cobra f9 has been lowered to £249 so that has also caught my eye, as it has hosel settings for a draw bias.

I would massively appreciate any guidance on which might be the best choice from anyone with experience of any of these drivers (or anyone who slices off the tee!!)

Many thanks
Tom

Last edited:

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem

I have discovered that you cannot buy a club to fix an inherent swing fault, I have spent a small fortune on different drivers and can still do an ultra slice even into an anti slice wind.

Lessons and practice are the only way

My failing is that I try to hit the ball way too hard,

Good luck

Fore Man

Visit site
It certainly seems to be when I try to hit it hard as well. I guess I am looking for something that would give me a more consistent shot shape.
You're right though, I should get more lessons on this. I think part of my problem is a slight out to in path but more so an open club face, which lessons haven't helped with so far.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Waste of time. Gives you the same effect as strengthening your grip. In fact if, like me, you take your grip before grounding the club so that the face looks square you effectively remove the draw bias. The draw bias only works if you ground the club then grip.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
It certainly seems to be when I try to hit it hard as well. I guess I am looking for something that would give me a more consistent shot shape.
You're right though, I should get more lessons on this. I think part of my problem is a slight out to in but more so an open club face, which lessons haven't helped with so far.

A slice is always caused by an open clubface, IN RELATION TO THE SWINGPATH. You can have an open clubface relative to the target line but if the swingpath is in to out you can draw the ball. If the ball starts straight it indicates that the face was square to the target line. If it then slices that's an indication that the swingpath must have been out to in. A correction might be as easy as swinging down more inside to out. If the ball starts right then fades it's likely that the swingpath is square & it may be that all you need to do is to square up the face by strengthening the grip. If your Pro hasn't pointed out how the fault is caused you may find it harder to correct. The ball flight laws are explained here https://www.golftec.com/blog/2016/08/golf-ball-flight-laws/

I think that understanding them helps a lot in diagnosing any fault.

Chico84

Visit site
A slice is always caused by an open clubface, IN RELATION TO THE SWINGPATH. You can have an open clubface relative to the target line but if the swingpath is in to out you can draw the ball. If the ball starts straight it indicates that the face was square to the target line. If it then slices that's an indication that the swingpath must have been out to in. A correction might be as easy as swinging down more inside to out. If the ball starts right then fades it's likely that the swingpath is square & it may be that all you need to do is to square up the face by strengthening the grip. If your Pro hasn't pointed out how the fault is caused you may find it harder to correct. The ball flight laws are explained here https://www.golftec.com/blog/2016/08/golf-ball-flight-laws/

Great summary and very much worth noting.

To the OP - I posted a similar question a while back. Link below:

https://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/threads/draw-bias-or-not.104082/

I found that lessons made the most difference. I ended up with a second hand M1 driver and after my first lesson with it my instructor moved the weight centre and forward as I didn’t need it to be draw biased due to my swing improvements. Lessons and practice are the way forward. Sadly I don’t do enough of the latter!

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I've always struggled with a slice on my driver. I've had a number of lessons and still struggle with this.

I've decided to invest in a draw bias driver and had the g400 sft (£279) and Rogue draw (£279) in mind. I've also just noticed that the Cobra f9 has been lowered to £249 so that has also caught my eye, as it has hosel settings for a draw bias.

I would massively appreciate any guidance on which might be the best choice from anyone with experience of any of these drivers (or anyone who slices off the tee!!)

Many thanks
Tom

What’s your handicap?

Fore Man

Visit site

Right, I will be doing a lot of research on this over the forseeable!! Thanks for everyone's help so far!

Fore Man

Visit site
What’s your handicap?

I'm not a club member, so no handicap. I have been playing a local pay and play and driving range for the last 14 months normally shooting between 20-30 over par....so not good but feel I have been improving well in most areas but driving.

Fore Man

Visit site
Great summary and very much worth noting.

To the OP - I posted a similar question a while back. Link below:

https://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/threads/draw-bias-or-not.104082/

I found that lessons made the most difference. I ended up with a second hand M1 driver and after my first lesson with it my instructor moved the weight centre and forward as I didn’t need it to be draw biased due to my swing improvements. Lessons and practice are the way forward. Sadly I don’t do enough of the latter!

Noted!!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Draw biased drivers are not just about face angles they are also about where the weight is in the head.

You could go for a standard driver that lets you not only adjust the face angle but also one where you can change the weights and their position in the head.

You do not have to go newish to give this a try, clubs as far back as the TaylorMade R9 have this

Fore Man

Visit site
Draw biased drivers are not just about face angles they are also about where the weight is in the head.

You could go for a standard driver that lets you not only adjust the face angle but also one where you can change the weights and their position in the head.

You do not have to go newish to give this a try, clubs as far back as the TaylorMade R9 have this

Brilliant, thank you.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Think BobMc (a very good professional and forum stalwart) has a great drill to stop an out to in swing and promote a better in to out path with headcovers. Could be worth searching for on here (or sending a PM) and then working on it in the garden even if you don't hit balls.

Fore Man

Visit site
Think BobMc (a very good professional and forum stalwart) has a great drill to stop an out to in swing and promote a better in to out path with headcovers. Could be worth searching for on here (or sending a PM) and then working on it in the garden even if you don't hit balls.

Cheers, I'll have a look!

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I have discovered that you cannot buy a club to fix an inherent swing fault, I have spent a small fortune on different drivers and can still do an ultra slice even into an anti slice wind.

Good luck

Good luck
Totally agree, I’ve got a draw driver but if I get it wrong it still slices
One of the best players at my club put me right. If you’re a righty aim to hit the ball at 7 o clock and follow through to 1 o clock. Works every time until you forget
It turned out to be an easy fix in the end

Fore Man

Visit site
Thankfully that's very easy to remember as I'm also guilty of too many swing thoughts! I'll just concentrate on that and will hopefully straighten that shotshape.

Thank you.