Downswing Dipping

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not much written about dipping in the downswing, a fault noticed in my lesson today

The result is my arms react and collapse very slighty at impact changing my strike consistency ( loss of triangle )

Mostly i get away with it, fault shot is a pull or pull hook

My posture isnt bad and stays correct height in the backswing but i drop slightly in the downswing for some reason

Any drills to stop this so i can improve my impact and follow through extension

Last edited:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
One tip is that your throughswing should mirror your backswing.

Take a good look at how your hands and arms are at 90* to the floor on both the back and the through swing after you have hit the ball.

You should nicely open up with the body turn on the way back, power through, the hands naturally returning to address then mirroring the opening of the back swing by going with your body as you turn through. Its a powerful move best practised with a 5 iron and swings to hip height.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Also try one of these!

[video=youtube;AqCRltUfrMQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqCRltUfrMQ[/video]

http://www.theimpactball.com/

Thanks guys, i have seen them before

However, my arms are buckling because i have dipped slightly, if i didnt buckle the arms the club head would strike the ground very fat. Instincts are making me lift my arms and break the triangle because of the loss of height, a few inches only.

So the fault seems to be caused by height loss / spine angle change and not caused because of arms losing shape.

The ball may help but i think the fault is else where

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
'Losing your triangle' sounds like a phrase that your pro would say to you if he was giving you a lesson? You said you had one today... did he then not go on to explain that to you?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that Tiger Woods loses height through the downswing for extra power as he squats into the strike

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

Love that video,... love the impact position...

It's easy to forget that it's RORY MCILROY in the video.....

Hands ahead of the ball at impact, forward leaning shaft, retaining the lag (definitely NO flipping, rolling.. or anything else untoward going on there)

[click pic to enlarge...]
hhh.jpg

Apparently he's quite good....:p

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think i have cured this, at the range i really focused on keeping the flex in the rear right leg, next worked hard at keeping chin up more and feeling of standing taller on the downswing

Result better contact and better distance, alot more distance