Don't understand

mclefty

Visit site
I go on the range and hit the ball ok, if I was on the course hitting the ball the same I would say I would complete the round in the high 70's low 80's but as it is I'm looking between 100/110 on the course which is a relatively flat parklands type, I'm topping most of my shots, my driver shots are mainly low and when the ball lands it spins off 90° left to right (I'm left handed).

I would go for a lesson I have had several lessons in the past, but as I say I can hit the ball ok with no real issues off the mat but when I go off grass it all goes badly wrong, mainly topping with the odd fat shot.

Cheers

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I go on the range and hit the ball ok, if I was on the course hitting the ball the same I would say I would complete the round in the high 70's low 80's but as it is I'm looking between 100/110 on the course which is a relatively flat parklands type, I'm topping most of my shots, my driver shots are mainly low and when the ball lands it spins off 90° left to right (I'm left handed).

I would go for a lesson I have had several lessons in the past, but as I say I can hit the ball ok with no real issues off the mat but when I go off grass it all goes badly wrong, mainly topping with the odd fat shot.

Cheers

Welcome to the forum. First the good news. You're not alone. Many people struggle to take the range swing to the course and struggle with hitting off grass. The range mats can mask a host of poor strikes. Is it purely mainly the driver that is the issue or is it hitting all clubs off grass? I would suggest getting a lesson, and finding a pro with a decent reputation (word of mouth) and try and get the lesson off grass. I'm sure they can sort the strike and direction out. All you have to do then is work on what you're shown, trust it on the course and not over think it when you play

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sometimes it's just a case of trying too hard which adds a bit more pressure. Next time you're out with a mate just play match play and forget about the total score for the round.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I can find a rhythm on the range, but am liable to quicken on the course and upper body moves more.
Try only hitting only one shot before switching to another club on the range.
Maybe seek out a grass range also.

mclefty

Visit site
Playing lesson booked for a week on Saturday at a well known big club here in the north east, fingers crossed :swing::clap::cheers:

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wise move! You will enjoy that I'd say, keep an open mind, the issues you percieve to be the trouble-spots in your game may not be what the pro sees, but remember if the pro is any good they've seen it all!

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Hitting off a mat is very forgiving, hitting off the grass soon shows up your fat shots pretty quickly. Our Pro said to me the other week, if they did the fitting sessions from all the manufactures off a mat rather than off the grass at our practise strip he'd sell a lot more clubs.