does this qualify as a bandit?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
A bandit in my eyes is a player who deliberately preserves a high handicap, so that he can clean up in matchplay, open competitions and society days. It sounds as if your opponent benefitted from a week's intensive coaching and just improved his standard of play! As long as he plays in Q Comps, his handicap will eventually catch up with his improved ability. Of course he could have just been having a 'good day'!

Last edited:

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Suppose he did not have to ment he had spent 1550 squid on golf. Nobody would have been any wiser and everyone would have said ' well played!'

HickoryShaft

Tour Rookie
Visit site
it was a two week camp in a 5 star hotel. He's alway been a steady golfer with an awful long game. Not any more, slit every fairway with his driver

OK so £1500 for a 5 star holiday with golf lessons thrown in. Its a bit different from spending £1500 for lessons alone. A bit steep but not outrageus and some people spend a lot more on a holiday alone.

If I could get away with it I would give it a try but there would be a divorce in the offing if I went golfing on holiday as well :)

I don' think handicap should be adjusted until he plays comps anyway - what would people have said if he came back and having tried to reconstruct his swing he played terrible - he should get an automatic 5 shots extra??

In my eyes that's matchplay all over you can beeze it through or get crushed on the day.

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well done to you for not jumping on the bandit bandwagon.
I've been working hard on a very big swing change for the last 4 months which is now starting to feel like the norm rather than the old swing, which now feels wrong.
Although I haven't hooked it up in competition yet to get the handicap going in the right direction it is really starting to show on the course.
On Sunday we had a mixed friendly match away to St Austell GC with a greensomes format. After I had hit 3 lovely drives, only to be thwarted by a big bounce on a sloping fairway on one hole which ment I took my partners drive, I then hit a peach of a hybrid around 220 yards and got asked why my handicap was 18 and not 8. He didn't directly call me a bandit and understood when I told him I had been changing my swing in a big way to which he remarked it was working really well.
Sometimes it does come together but it's keeping it together in to long run that is harder. Played today and hit some great shots but still has some shockers.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
OK so £1500 for a 5 star holiday with golf lessons thrown in. Its a bit different from spending £1500 for lessons alone. A bit steep but not outrageus and some people spend a lot more on a holiday alone.

If I could get away with it I would give it a try but there would be a divorce in the offing if I went golfing on holiday as well :)

It's ok. Haven't you learnt anything from the PGA Championship. 2 week intense golf camp and dumping the other half combined, you'll be on tour!

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How well did he actually play though?? Was he winning holes with birdies all the time?? Or were you and your PP giving holes away??
Doesn't sound like a bandit to me, he's at a level where it's fairly easy to improve by a big margin if you practice and play properly. He sounds like he's done that and is reaping the rewards of his commitment and sacrifice to get better.