Does the Belfry check h/c certs?

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Apologies if this has been asked before I did a quick search and turned up nowt.

A buddy of mine won a 4 ball at the championship course and is concerned that his nomadic status will prevent him playing (he can play, just doesn’t have a cert cos he gave up his membership).

Anyone play and been asked? Or will he be okay as long as he turns up in reasonable golf attire?

Cheers, Curls

Newtonuti

Visit site
Played The Brabazon about 5 or 6 times the past few months (mate has a mate with corporate membership), never had it checked once. Seen some right hackers going round as well.

Visit site
Never been asked to prove it at any course, including Royal County Down, St George’s Hill, St Enodoc and West Sussex, nor at any of the other 14 top 100 england courses I have played.

St Enodoc asked the question “what is your handicap” when we checked in, maybe they would ask for proof if your answer wasn’t convincing?

I have a feeling that very few people who don’t really play golf, don’t know how to care for the course and act responsibly would part with the big green fees, so they don’t have enough problems to warrant asking every player for proof.

D

Deleted member 23344

Never been asked to prove it at any course, including Royal County Down, St George’s Hill, St Enodoc and West Sussex, nor at any of the other 14 top 100 england courses I have played.

St Enodoc asked the question “what is your handicap” when we checked in, maybe they would ask for proof if your answer wasn’t convincing?

I have a feeling that very few people who don’t really play golf, don’t know how to care for the course and act responsibly would part with the big green fees, so they don’t have enough problems to warrant asking every player for proof.

I was asked to evidence my handicap when I played West Sussex.

SurreyGolfer

Visit site

This is really interesting as my wife wanted to buy me a round at RSG as a birthday present but I advised her not to as the website states max 18 handicap and mine is ~23. Didn't want the potential embarrassment of being turned away at the gates!

Visit site
This is really interesting as my wife wanted to buy me a round at RSG as a birthday present but I advised her not to as the website states max 18 handicap and mine is ~23. Didn't want the potential embarrassment of being turned away at the gates!

I guess it’s a risk, I wonder if they would refund it if they did indeed enforce the rule and turn you away?

I’d probably be tempted to make an anonymous phone call to explain your handicap, that you understand the course is tough and that you are a member of a club, and see if they would be happy to accept you. I suspect at RSG the handicap limit is due to course difficulty and some of the long carries of tees, and ensuring pace of play.

I was asked to evidence my handicap when I played West Sussex.
That’s interesting - played there in 2018 and 2022 and neither team was I asked for proof.
I am in my 20’s so I would expect I’m the sort of person they’re likely to be more concerned about letting into the course ?

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cheers all. I was asked at the Old
Course, not at RSG. If ever there was a situation where it should be the other way around ?

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Ganton asked me last year. I didn't have an official one, so I showed them my online scores and they were fine.

Edit: booked to play Hotchkin at Woodhall Spa and they didn't ask at all.

Last edited:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Haven't been asked in years.

I am pleased when folk talk in revered tones about the Belfry. It can only mean that they have whole world of really excellent courses yet to play!! And, good old Angus used to be at our place before he moved. He's doing a grand job there. Keeps it nice!

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Haven't been asked in years.

I am pleased when folk talk in revered tones about the Belfry. It can only mean that they have whole world of really excellent courses yet to play!! And, good old Angus used to be at our place before he moved. He's doing a grand job there. Keeps it nice!
He's trashed two of the three courses ?. Well, one really but two sounds better ?