Does playing with poorer players drag you down ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
It's often been said you should try and play with players that are better than you as it will bring you on.

Last night I played with 2 +2 players and a 4 capper, I was initially a bit intimidated as shown by doubling the first, I then played the next 8 in one under, so did they bring me on or did I just get lucky last night.

So the question remains do poorer players drag you down ?

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Doesnt really bother me. Pace of play tends to affect my game more. The only time a playing partner seems to help me play better is if they arrive on the first tee all Charlie Big Potatoes with expensive gear and are sneering and condescending towards mine etc. That seems to help focus me a bit better!

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't really mind how well off the people I play with are. The ones who are richer tend to have had lessons and good equipment so its useful to see their form and get ideas from it. The poorer players I guess just haven't had so much to spend on it and so they tend to just do their own style swing, which isn't great to watch!

An interesting thought though.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's often been said you should try and play with players that are better than you as it will bring you on.

Last night I played with 2 +2 players and a 4 capper, I was initially a bit intimidated as shown by doubling the first, I then played the next 8 in one under, so did they bring me on or did I just get lucky last night.

So the question remains do poorer players drag you down ?

How did they score? Did you drag them down? :rofl:

In answer to your question, sometimes yes, sometimes no. It is mentally easy to accept bad play if those around you are also playing badly. If they are good players I do tend to keep my concentration levels going for longer.

If people are playing average for their h/c then they have no impact on me. It tends to be the extremes that affect me.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I learn more and prefer in ways to play with people who put the ball in similar areas to me. You get a read far more often. However, my usual PP is off 23 and he's just great fun on the course. He's also quicker than most Cat 1s I've played with in spite of the additional shots taken.

I prefer to enjoy my recreation time with buddies. Though I do take your point, better players can spur you on.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't really mind how well off the people I play with are. The ones who are richer tend to have had lessons and good equipment so its useful to see their form and get ideas from it. The poorer players I guess just haven't had so much to spend on it and so they tend to just do their own style swing, which isn't great to watch!

An interesting thought though.

Nice :)

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For me, it depends on how they are. If I play with people that I can get on, it helps me. Played with a guy last week that for the first 9 holes was swearing & club chucking and I thought for one moment was going to walk off after 9. Luckily the 3rd person in the group was good mates with him and knows the signs, so brought him back off the edge & he actually played much better on the back nine.
It did unfocus me for a few holes around the turn though

Green Man

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Our Saturday comps are not drawn and therefore you put your name down in the time slot you want to play.

Would I be a bad person if I said I will move my name if anyone over a 14 handicap enters in the same tee time?

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd certainly say YES it does help.

I played alot with 20-26 handicappers, I was 23hc at the time.
Last year I started playing in a swindle which has players from the 5-20 range. But mainly mid to low teens.....I'm now playing off 8.
Yes I did practice an awful lot, but watching how they play shots, course management and just me being more focused to play well with them all helps!

But for years, I was from 13-16, I played with my dad who's off 5 and it never really helped.

For me lessons are Key but good players help too!

D

Deleted member 15344

Makes no difference to me what HC my PP are

It’s how they act and how their pace of play is that could possibly have an affect on my game

Certainly never had my game dragged down by a higher HC

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No, if anything it makes me concentrate more so that I don't embarrass myself. It doesn't always work out though, some days you play like a chopper no matter what you do.

D

Deleted member 21258

Yeah, I get dragged down by my wife, son and my mum every time I play with them. Glad they don't read the forum :rofl:

Seriously no of course not, I am out there to enjoy myself I am never going to be playing for a living. In my eyes if it isn't fun why am I doing it.

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don’t think it’s necessarily ability, but how serious they take the game.

I go with two mates who are not very good, they know they’re not very good, so they play very quickly. Too quickly for me in fact.

I’m a 5 handicap atm, so I like to play ‘properly’ but playing with them I always play worse because it’s too quick.

I play with my dad who’s an 18 handicap and because he tries to play the game properly we have no dramas, as we are playing a not too dissimilar speed of play.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Makes no difference to me what HC my PP are

It’s how they act and how their pace of play is that could possibly have an affect on my game

Certainly never had my game dragged down by a higher HC
yes agree with this .
pace of play is the most important.
I tell players who throw tantrums and clubs not to put their name with me again , I can’t be doing with prima donnas.

Status
Not open for further replies.