Does pace of play effect how you play

does pace of play effect your game and how well you play?

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sandsider

Visit site
I was brought up to play without practice swings and the club was out of the bag as you approached your ball. On your home track if you didn't know what club you needed from whatever point, you were regarded as being a bit slow on the uptake. Carrying helped and many did. However, now I'm wiser and better educated so instead of getting bothered about not getting round in 3 hours I now slow myself down to the slowest player in the flight, sometimes even slower. It's great, no more ranting, no more rushed shots. I've done my share of trying to get play speeded up and it really is futile and not worth the angst. I still find that the obligatory 15 minute wait at the halfway house disruptive however.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I try to not let it bug me.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
I guess it depends on the circumstances.
Say it's a H4H or similar. You know the course is full, you know it's going to be slow, you get on with it.
When it affects me is when there's clear daylight between the group in front of me and the group in front of them.
I start to lose concentration and have got to the point of not really giving a damn anymore.

sunshine

Visit site
1. I used to play at public courses, rounds took ages.
2. I then joined a private course, I had to speed up. Someone (actually the VC) raised it in a tactful way. I learnt, I became quicker.
3. I got used to playing quicker, not fast, just reasonable pace (Saturday medal c.3:30 for a 3 ball). It became annoying playing with mates from my old course who thought 5 hours was a good pace.
4. I then joined a different private course. The pace of play is slower (Saturday medal c.4:00 for a 3 ball). I don't like waiting around so I've started to slow down again, especially around the greens if I can see the group in front has only just teed off.

So I seem to be going full circle. Where am I going with this? I think for most people, external factors influence pace of play, you get conditioned to playing at a regular pace so don't realise you are slow or fast.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Been rushed really affects me, played in front of a 3 ball as a 3 on Saturday and felt we were holding them up for 2-3 holes really affected me and I blobbed all three. Offered to let them through but they wanted to stay as part of their society and that we hadn't held them up at all and seemed to slow themselves down a bit after that.

I'm always more mindful of slow play since coming on here, I think I'm playing too fast if anything just so I'm not seen as slow.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I find playing to quickly is just as detrimental as playing to slowly. There I’ve said it, probably won’t be a popular opinion. Playing slowly I lose concentration if I am constantly waiting to play. Playing to quickly I tend not to concentrate enough as I rush shots. If I go round in our clubs recommended times I am playing at a pace that works for me.

sunshine

Visit site
I find playing to quickly is just as detrimental as playing to slowly. There I’ve said it, probably won’t be a popular opinion. Playing slowly I lose concentration if I am constantly waiting to play. Playing to quickly I tend not to concentrate enough as I rush shots. If I go round in our clubs recommended times I am playing at a pace that works for me.

Whenever someone lets me through, I always play the hole poorly because I'm rushing. Not just me - I've seen it with loads of people - rushing seems to affect almost everyone.

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
Invariably when I’m with slow players and try to take on the burden of speeding up the group i.e I try playing too fast and mess up.
More and more now I just say what I hope are the right things to get slow-folks moving etc and at the same time make an effort not to rush my actual shot

If following slowly or in a slow field then I’m not too fussed waiting to play providing I don’t lose ground, but would much rather not wait at all

I've found myself doing this - I detest being pushed from the group behind so end up rushing to make up lost time from other players with inevitable results. I need to deal with these situations better.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There's definitely a Goldilocks pace, not too fast, not too slow, just right. I like not having to think about anyone else on the course, either in front or behind. When the group ahead is just moving on as we get there, and the group behind isn't waiting then there's a nice flow.

Don't mind waiting a little bit for the group ahead as long as they're not taking the mickey, but hate feeling that my group is holding up the group behind. I'll always try to play faster to make up for the pace of the group, but usually that makes my own game worse.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
In general I don't believe that the pace of play affects my play. Usually don't notice unless the players in front are really slow and start phaffing around.

maxy33

Visit site
Yes definitely.

Just last night was playing in the weekly stableford roll up and was flying on the front 9 playing to handicap for 18 points.
Suddenly we were getting held up and waiting on every tee and my game went to pot.
This isn't a coincidence as it happens every time I'm hung around waiting to take my shots.

sunshine

Visit site
Here's a scenario:

You hit a sweet drive on a par 5. When you get to the ball, you decide that you can go for it in 2, although it will take another sweet strike to get there. It's not a green that is normally in range for you. So you wait for the green to clear. Your playing partners have already played their second shots so they are standing nearby waiting for you. The group behind has arrived at the tee and is waiting for you. You are standing patiently (or impatiently) waiting for the green to clear.

Finally the green clears, it's been an eternity. You address the ball. What are the chances you execute the shot?

For me, it's 0% :(

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Here's a scenario:

You hit a sweet drive on a par 5. When you get to the ball, you decide that you can go for it in 2, although it will take another sweet strike to get there. It's not a green that is normally in range for you. So you wait for the green to clear. Your playing partners have already played their second shots so they are standing nearby waiting for you. The group behind has arrived at the tee and is waiting for you. You are standing patiently (or impatiently) waiting for the green to clear.

Finally the green clears, it's been an eternity. You address the ball. What are the chances you execute the shot?

Agree. Having far too long to mull over it means I lose all momentum and energy and in all likelihood duff it.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Its more rythmn than pace. I can play slowly but as long as the rhythm/tempo is constant then my game doesn't suffer. As rhythm generally is disrupted during "slower paced rounds" more than faster rounds, I voted yes.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Here's a scenario:

The only way to play the perfect shot is to hit the ball straight away. It will sail beautifully long, straight and high, landing on to the green. All of the people scattering and swearing loudly are really showing their appreciation. ;)

If I wait the pressure will build and I'm almost certain to make a hash of it. If there's no one behind I'll wait and have a go. If there is someone behind I'll lay up and move on (and probably make a hash of the lay-up) :(

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’ve seen players get really wound up if they have to wait and ruins their game, for me it’s not good to have to wait to play shots, but it is what it is and generally it doesn’t bother me.

AntShadow

Visit site
I feel i have to be in a rhythm to play my best, that being i don't have to wait for greens or fairways to clear to take my next shot, i'm very much a see it hit it type player. It absolutely destroys my soul when i see people have 10 practice swings before then topping/fatting it 10 yards! :mad:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If things are slow I just slow down my thinking around what to do next. I will have a tune in my head that I'll have running - if I haven't picked up something I have heard on the way to the club my default being the 59th Street Bridge Song (slow down...). I will simply be in the moment and not ahead of myself. I will switch to 'what do I do now?' thought when things are ready for me to do so.

Of course I don't like it - but I have taught myself ow to cope with it - and that coping works most of the time.