Does it feel like a hollow victory when course is playing short..?

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
As the title of the thread really. I played yesterday (at the Portal Premier course in Tarporley for those that know it) for the first time and shot my lowest ever round of golf; 77 gross which is 6 over. I’m a 14 handicap. And to be honest it could have been even better, I missed a couple of putts inside of 3ft and 3 putted the first after driving the green. Now obviously I should be over the moon with that score and I am, however a part of me thinks well its only cause the course played short. Probably played half of it from the red tees or not far behind them so it’s made it feel like a bit of a hollow victory.

However to give myself credit I did play very well, drove the ball impeccably which often left me with just a wedge into greens. I also had 3 birdies which I’ve never had in a single round before.

Has anyone else felt like that before or am I just being too hard on myself?

D

Deleted member 16999

Being too hard imo, you played the course that was presented, enjoy it and take the postives.
Did everyone playing the course shoot their lowest ever rounds?

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
No that’s a fair point actually never thought of it that way. I guess I’ve kind of been conditioned to just think that way because at my home course this year (which has been shorted this winter due to maintenance works) lots and lots of people have been shooting well below their handicaps and we’ve all just been putting it down to the course playing short / easy so applied the same logic to my round yesterday.

Homer

Visit site
Why is it playing so short when the its been the best winter for years? Are the digging all the tees up?

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
No idea why the tees were forward yesterday, they were just next to or behind the red pegs for half of the holes. Couldn’t see any maintenance work going on. Can only think they were giving the tees a rest and chance to recover.
At my home course the tees are been rested and allowed to recover so lots of temporary tees or playing from the reds.

Didn’t get a reduced green fee but i played with a friend who was a playmoregolf member so we used his away points to play.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No. I shot level par around our course yesterday off forward tees and was well chuffed, specially as it was only my second time out since early December. The annoying thing was offsetting 5 birdies with 5 bogeys.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
All our forward tees are rated...no hiding the realities of any score.

In your own words, you played very well - that's what you should take forward.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
For sure you still need to get the ball in the hole. But on my course, playing short would take a lot of danger away from your tee shot. Certain bunkers wouldn't be in play and other hazards. Couple that with shorter irons into soft greens....

With all that said, I'd still be chuffed.

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
Yes an old saying but true nonetheless. And I did play well, hardly missed a fairway and when I did I scrambled well and either made par or bogey. But there were lots of par 4s that were playing around 300 yards and a couple of par 5s that were only 450. I hit the ball pretty far when I get hold of one so I was often left with either a 30-40 yard pitch into a green for my second on a par 4 or a 8-9 iron for my 2nd into a par 5 so it undoubtedly made things easier.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For me not really

The first time I shot level par was on a newly built course. most of the holes dead straight and most of the trees were newly planted and posed none of the 'normal threat' bjt it did not detract from my thrill of reaching one of my goals.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
personally it does, little or no rough and receptive greens on the whole, much shorter course, though under usual circumstances my home course changes the par from 71 to 68 as a couple of the par 5 are par 4 and one of the par 4s is a par 3. Nairn Dunbar on the other hand is the same par but 500 yards shorter, shot a good score there yesterday, i wouldn't get close to if were the summer course. of course you still have to do the business even if it is easier

sunshine

Visit site
In my experience, higher handicappers tend to find the course tougher in winter due to the lack of roll. For the lower handicapper, when you get a spell of nice weather in winter, the course should be there for the taking, as it is set up so much easier.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
It’s a personal preference how you gauge your success.

Personally I only count rounds off of competition tees.

Entirely up to you how you feel about the score.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
In my experience, higher handicappers tend to find the course tougher in winter due to the lack of roll. For the lower handicapper, when you get a spell of nice weather in winter, the course should be there for the taking, as it is set up so much easier.
i wouldn't agree, or at least Nairn Dunbar doesn't back that up, every one of their winter comps has been won by a mid teen handicap and that's of 3/4. looked at the results yesterday and though i' shot 41 points off 3, there were two scores of 43 by 16 handicappers, after mine

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
i wouldn't agree, or at least Nairn Dunbar doesn't back that up, every one of their winter comps has been won by a mid teen handicap and that's of 3/4. looked at the results yesterday and though i' shot 41 points off 3, there were two scores of 43 by 16 handicappers, after mine
Whilst you wouldn't agree someone clearly does - or they wouldn't be fiddling the handicap system like that! 🤔