Does Golf Need a New Dominant Figure?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Yeah I’m not dissing it, I love “funky” non standard swings. I just dread if he had any sort of ankle injury, even a minor sprain would impact his swing.
If it did "go" he might not be able to do the Happy Feet as effectively..might require a major change

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
He’s been swinging it like it since he was a junior. Coaches left it as impact was so good.

It’s lasted well so far…
Can he keep putting that pressure on it for another 5, 10, 15yrs? The slow mo is terrifying 😱.

I think a dominant figure is good for non golfers, the occasional viewer, but for golf fans, no thanks. It's dull to watch.

I'm with others in terms of not expecting Scheffler to dominate. Not because he isn't good enough but that hasn't been how it has worked in recent years. Fields are stronger, it's harder for one person to remain that dominant over time. Let's not also underestimate the impact of having kids might have on Scheffler. Golf suddenly doesn't become quite so important.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Scotty is having a purple streak atm
Yes, he is good but he won't dominate like Woods did.
I'm just happy that a LIV player didn't win the Masters.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Domination equals boring.
If Tiger was in the field between 97 and 20....whatever....it was almost a case of who was going to come 2nd...
No sport needs a dominating figure/team.....F1 being a prime example......it's not good for the sport.
The more players/teams with realistic chances of winning the better.
Saying it's not good for the sport is really an opinion. Tigermania was obviously very good in terms of income for tour pros, PGA Tour, manufacturers, local clubs, etc.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There will never be another Tiger as there cannot be anyone in todays game that can fundamentally change the direction of the sport both commercially in terms of purses & sponsorship deals and professionally through the separation with his peers.

I’d say more than an individual, the tours need to sort themselves out to provide a better offer to golf fans and casual sports fans - generally golf on TV is dull, not helped by the procession of young US monotone pros.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Good question. Another Woods would see a Formula 1 like procession to the finish line. It’s obviously to some people’s tastes. Personally, I’d rather see someone like Seve or Norman who on a good day will rip the lights out but from which you’re guaranteed to see them playing some shots out of knee high jungle. John Daly was another who could spend half the time in the jungle but made up for with a run of birdies. Crash and burn on a bad day, or no one gets near them on a good day.

I’d be inclined to put Rory in that category. He can be wayward to say the least but he can pull off some amazing shots.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
What golf needs is the end of LIV.
A few top personalities would be better than one dominating.
Something like the Nicklaus/Watson or Woods/Mickelson battles.
I look back on the pro-eras of my lifetime as Palmer/Nicklaus/Player and then Watson spanning the time to Faldo/Norman/Ballesteros and Tiger/Mickelson spanning the time until now.

The Tiger/Mickelson era is over. What era we find ourselves in now can only be defined at its conclusion. It is just as interesting to me now as it ever was.

Tiger won The Masters for the first time the year after Faldo's last victory. He played the first round with Faldo and shot 40 for the front nine. To go on to win from there and have Faldo put the Green Jacket on his back was quite a defining moment for me as I look back.

Albo

Visit site
Given the way equipment is at the moment I don’t think we will see one single player dominate like Tiger over the long term, it will continue in cycles. Tiger was able to separate himself via is ball striking and his power, the power bit is now known by everyone so no single player will get a huge advantage there anymore and the club face being so forgiving that these boys having very good ball striking skills versus imperious ball striking skills is no longer the differentiating factor it was.
Would it be good for the sport for a single dominant figure to emerge and be the guy to beat for 10-15 years, absolutely yes! Fantastic for the sport as it will draw in the kids, the next generation who want to be that person, rubbish for those watching on TV but for the future of the sport a brilliant thing, but it won’t happen

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Did Tiger have charisma? I just remember him being supremely focussed, confident, determined, but I wouldn't call that charisma. He only chilled out a bit when he got older. he wasn't exactly laugh a minute. I'd argue Scheffler is a nicer guy for sure.
lots of blond cocktail waitresses though he did :ROFLMAO:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think that golf needs something. Tiger drew in non golfers and was known globally. Out of the field at the Masters, who would the general public be able to name, Rory maybe and that would be about it.