Does extra grip tape cure blocking/pushing

V

vkurup

My clubs are currently with my pro who is getting their loft & lie sorted. We checked my irons, hybrids and Drivers. I am struggling with blocking my drive or adding a fade or worse case a slice. Most times it will be block + a fade/slice. While on the GC2 one of my drives was 77y right off target. We put the irons and Drivers on GC2 and ran some numbers. One of the things we realised that my iron is 0.1 open at impact while my Driver seems to be open between 7 to 10 degrees!! He mentioned that I am not rolling my hands over enough. The problem is accentuated on longer clubs. He suggested that I should consider using extra tape under my left hand. Not a lot but he will start building it up from 6 or 5i and take it up to the driver. Anyone heard about this?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Doesnt make sense to me. The more tape you add, the thicker the grips get, the harder it is to turn the hands over and the more likely you are to block/push it. Unless he is trying to create a disparity between the two hands so that you can turn the right hand over more but still doesnt sound the most logical approach to me, would rather see him fix a clubface that is 7-10 degrees open with some swing changes than equipment tampering!

V

vkurup

Doesnt make sense to me. The more tape you add, the thicker the grips get, the harder it is to turn the hands over and the more likely you are to block/push it. Unless he is trying to create a disparity between the two hands so that you can turn the right hand over more but still doesnt sound the most logical approach to me, would rather see him fix a clubface that is 7-10 degrees open with some swing changes than equipment tampering!

Sorry should have made it more clear.. he wants to create a disparity between the hands. Apparently Bubba has 12-8 or 8-4 tapes on his Left-Right hand... (but then he is Bubba)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

What he sez.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I would think that it might help marginally, but that 7* is not marginal!

Think hitting it past mid-on rather than mid-off! That's actually a bit much correction, but getting the feeling of the right wrist moving around/over the left is important - without having them 'roll'.

Or at least ensuring right wrist is on top of left one during the follow-through.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd leave the clubs as is. Are you trying to get the ball into the air? Turning up and out early? That tends to leave the club face wide open and indicative of a blocker of the ball.

V

vkurup

I would think that it might help marginally, but that 7* is not marginal!

Think hitting it past mid-on rather than mid-off! That's actually a bit much correction, but getting the feeling of the right wrist moving around/over the left is important - without having them 'roll'.

Or at least ensuring right wrist is on top of left one during the follow-through.

In my cricketing days, I was a very strong leg side player, and would struggle onto the off side. Golf is having an opposite effect!!

Also, ironically if I align myself to left of target so as to compensate for the block... i will either end up pulling left or the ball go straight as arrow.. Its just when i align square, I will see it go to the left.. bloody sods law.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
With driver I stand a little closed, with the feeling of hitting out to the right in an arc. This naturally gets the ball straight for me, or if I over do it, pulls it left. Rarely carve it right with this feeling, but if aim/align left of target, it's slice city.