Does anybody else feel guilty......

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have routines running for everything

When I disarm my alarm (ie morning and when we get in) the lights all come on, saves turning them on one by one

Same when we arm it they all go off. Saves going round turning them off
Do you really turn on all your lights?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Install an LED wall light that has microwave sensoring so it activates on when someone reaches a preset distance, then stays on for the preset time.
Saves all this energy waste and for the lazy you don't have to get up and do anything...except answer the front door if anyone is foolish enough to call:)

So you order a takeaway. It's pitch dark. Guy can't read the number of your house from the road because the porch light is off. Or the LED sensor light would be off because he's not standing close enough. Kinda defeats the object.
If I've ordered a takeaway, I just ask Alexa to turn the porch light on 10 minutes before he's due to arrive.
Jobs a good 'un.
Life can be so easy when you think about it properly......
;););)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
With an Alexa enabled bulb in every room you can set up a routine where each light comes on for 10 minutes or so throughout the house at various times.
On holiday???? The thieves will never know.
;););)

I had lights on diff times so was so random

Plus TV on and music played lol

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
I only use Alexa for amusement... But my kids advise their home assistants have proven to be more than helpful during lockdown learning... Even if only to fill gaps in their own knowledge to keep the grandsons on track and focused on going forward with their schooling... And, their half year reports seem to endorse that...

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
With an Alexa enabled bulb in every room you can set up a routine where each light comes on for 10 minutes or so throughout the house at various times.
;););)
No need for anything if you have a door number on the outside of the house that can be read from the pavement (thats in my case about 15ft away) in the dark.
Mine is engraved into a piece of slate, and the number is painted white. It's mounted 6ft up. Even Stevie Wonder could see it from the pavement under any light conditions:)
Sometimes simplicity is the answer rather than technology;)

Last edited:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
;););)
Long before Alexa we had one of the 1st remote controlled ceiling fan lights.
I told my grand kids it was voice activated just like the things on StarTrek.
I would shout lights on, lights off or dim or fan on fan off, and it worked perfectly for me and the misses, but not for them,
because I had the remote hid in my pocket.
I kept them going for ages, me and the misses were in hysterics, getting them to try different voices. :love::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not going to tell you, am I? :cool:

(Ever read "1984"?)

When does science fiction become fact?

Ever read the war of the world's? Yet to wait for our space missions to get attacked let alone us invaded

And don't get me started on back to the future I'm waiting for my hover board

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
No need for anything if you have a door number on the outside of the house that can be read from the pavement (thats in my case about 15ft away) in the dark.

My problem is that being quite wealthy, our front door is further away from the pavement than that.
It's one of the burdens affluence brings unfortunately.....
????????

Seriously?? Our hedge is in the way and I'm not chopping that lot down!!!
Maybe I could get Alexa to do it???

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My problem is that being quite wealthy, our front door is further away from the pavement than that.
It's one of the burdens affluence brings unfortunately.....
????????
If you were that wealthy, you would have an illuminated sign at the bottom of your drive telling the local oiks of your wealth and house number. You would also have some hideous ostentation garden statue also illuminated just to show how wealthy and tasteless you really are:eek::eek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

But I assume you have more sense and less wealth than that;);):cool::cool:

D

Deleted Member 1156

We have an alexa device, very rarely use it. Too gimmicky for my liking. If I want to turn the volume down on the TV it's not difficult to reach for the remote.