Does anybody else feel guilty......

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I use mine as a timer in the kitchen, a dab radio, to solve arguements (did you know Joanna Lumley was 74?), it plays podcasts, audio books, it's a clock radio, a weather forecaster and a juke box with a choice of millions of songs.
All for £25
A dab radio on its own will cost you over £30, if you can get a signal.

D

Deleted member 16999

All these comments against technology and advancement, while posting on the internet...:unsure:

It’ll never catch on!:cool:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I'm not going to tell you, am I? :cool:

(Ever read "1984"?)
When does science fiction become fact?

Ever read the war of the world's? Yet to wait for our space missions to get attacked let alone us invaded

And don't get me started on back to the future I'm waiting for my hover board

I remember reading 1984 and thinking; "A camera hidden everywhere so your every move can be monitored? Don't be ridiculous!"

We're already pretty much at that stage, if any government wanted to they could.

Even worse IMHO are all the privately owned CCTV systems that are completely unregulated.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have an alexa device, very rarely use it. Too gimmicky for my liking. If I want to turn the volume down on the TV it's not difficult to reach for the remote.

Have to admit the actual talking to her is used less and less

Altho if rocking twins to sleep can turn off lights which is useful

I did use the voice when cooking for timers all time

However Alexa is the bridge in my house

Hive, Phillips hue, WiFi bulbs , WiFi plugs , ring alarm and door bell

Brings them together in one interface

If the doorbell is pressed 3 of the Alexa's announce someone at the door so it covers a wide area so don't miss the door

Also use a program called if this then that or iftt .. if the door bell is pressed it turns the porch lights on for 2 mins

Just means the drivers don't bugger off as they think your coming

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Has anyone seen Terminator, and still are happy to give over their lives to technology??;)

I'm still waiting for a light saber and ability for space travel

I mean a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.. surely we can have space travel properly by now

GuyInLyon

Visit site
When does science fiction become fact?
Star Trek. All of the time.
Hand held communicators = Smartphones
Those pads they used = iPads
BIG view screens = BIG flat screen TVs

And nuts to the hover board, I'm waiting for transporter/replicator/holosuite technology (all the same tech) because with that all our problems are solved.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
So you order a takeaway. It's pitch dark. Guy can't read the number of your house from the road because the porch light is off. Or the LED sensor light would be off because he's not standing close enough. Kinda defeats the object.
If I've ordered a takeaway, I just ask Alexa to turn the porch light on 10 minutes before he's due to arrive.
Jobs a good 'un.
Life can be so easy when you think about it properly......
;););)

In my experience delivery folk no longer look for door numbers...
They just drop the gear off at whatever door their device indicates is [possibly] the right one...

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I remember reading 1984 and thinking; "A camera hidden everywhere so your every move can be monitored? Don't be ridiculous!"

We're already pretty much at that stage, if any government wanted to they could.

Even worse IMHO are all the privately owned CCTV systems that are completely unregulated.

Walking out of "Enemy of the State" with Will Smith & Gene Hackman, Mrs BiM asked me how many years away that scenario was; she didn't believe me when I said it's already here.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I remember years ago watching an old episode of The Next Generation [ Star Trek ] where all the crew members got hooked and hypnotised playing games on their hand held devices.:eek::LOL:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Funny thing about those type of systems. I had not realised my son had installed one and when I asked a question on my phone imagine my surprise when a box in the corner answered.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I say more than thank you when she gets its wrong! Like setting a ten minute time when I want 2!!!!!!

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dont have one, and can't see me getting one, but I've always wondered ... how "accurate" are they when you ask something - ie do they always 'hear' correctly and give you the answer/result you were expecting at first answer. Or do you sometimes have to repeat yourself. If you use a tablet, say, and type a question in to Google, you often get an answer to something other than what you asked - or the answer you really wanted is half a dozen down the list. Do you get the same with the voice activated ones?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Dont have one, and can't see me getting one, but I've always wondered ... how "accurate" are they when you ask something - ie do they always 'hear' correctly and give you the answer/result you were expecting at first answer. Or do you sometimes have to repeat yourself. If you use a tablet, say, and type a question in to Google, you often get an answer to something other than what you asked - or the answer you really wanted is half a dozen down the list. Do you get the same with the voice activated ones?

I've found them to be very good.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
My daughter & her fella have a lot of things hooked up (she's in the smart home sector), they are also quite "geeky", and right from the start they changed Alexa's name to "computer" ( a la star trek).
Which was all good fun, expect it wouldn't recognise computer, only "compooder"
Is probably 2nd nature now, but often needed two goes back then.