Do you use the line on your ball?

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Always when putting. Except very short tap ins. Don't mind admitting it's become a bit of a crutch for me.

Use a dimple size dot for tee shots (something to focus on to not get ahead of the ball)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No, can't be bothered with all that. Don't think it would make a blind bit of difference. Often I don't even mark my ball as long as it's clean, I just hit it as it is.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It's adding another variable to the list as far as I'm concerned
If you line up your ball and try to hit the ball on that line, if that line is a degree or two out - you're going to miss.
I've seen people take an age lining up their lined ball with the line they want to hit it on, step back, re-align, step back, rinse, repeat and then miss by 3 or 4 inches....
If it helps people and doesn't take long to do then, as with Aimpoint, crack on.
But the moment your playing partners start twiddling their thumbs or lean on their putter while inspecting their shoes - you're taking too long.
And, I believe, tests have been done to show it doesn't make a difference.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I do but only as a guide. I agree people can obsess over it when pace is far more important.

I pick a line, line up with the line (which takes a second or two) and then from that point i know line is set and I can focus on length control.

I think that’s the most important part of putting, setting line first so your mind can focus on pace and pace alone.

oo7ml

Visit site
I do but only as a guide. I agree people can obsess over it when pace is far more important.

I pick a line, line up with the line (which takes a second or two) and then from that point i know line is set and I can focus on length control.

I think that’s the most important part of putting, setting line first so your mind can focus on pace and pace alone.

Well said...

The reason I posted it, was because it is not something I currently do, however it also seems like a no brainer not to do it, considering you can ensure you can set your putter exactly where you “think” you need to hit it and then focus on the rest.

As for the comments related to people still missing after lining it up... they could still have hit it perfectly where they planned on hitting it, BUT misread the green :)

I might give it a go for a while, but will be careful not to let it slow down my play... i’ll substitute it for one less practice stroke :)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
No. My reasoning is if you don't get that line spot on you will end up aiming off line, and on long putts it could lead to missing by quite some distance.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I am a big believer in using it. I understand the aiming off line if you have mis-read the putt comments but look at the PGA tour. Nearly everyone of them does it now. And so do I because I'm a dedicated follower of fashion.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Once I've lined the ball up I also check the line is spot on using the putter shaft and adjust as necessary.

I have no empirical scientific proof that I make more putts this way ;) BUT I am 100% certain that doing this up as part of a consistent and disciplined process benefits ME.

In fact I know I've lost my focus and am going through the motions when I fail to do it and can give myself a kick.

I don't think it takes too long and obviously I'm as considerate as can be and will have usually read the greens etc before it's my turn to play etc. However, I have played with people who are painfully slow doing this but then they are generally slow and inconsiderate anyway!

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ve recently started using it and it’s definitely helping me.

Pick the line. Line it up. Line the putter to the line and hit it.

It makes every putt effectively straight and stops me thinking about it over the ball.

Also gives a good indication of how the ball is rolling.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i do and use it for everything over 2ft. tend to use it more to make sure i'm lined up correctly and not aiming in the wrong direction and my stance is not Sq to target.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
No, promotes slow play imo, even see people lining it up from inside 12”, ffs.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I’ve recently started using it and it’s definitely helping me.

Pick the line. Line it up. Line the putter to the line and hit it.

It makes every putt effectively straight and stops me thinking about it over the ball.

Also gives a good indication of how the ball is rolling.

Same. And it also gives one less thing to think about or doubt when over the ball