Do you play "smart" AND How often?~

firestone

Hacker
Visit site
Do you play "smart" AND How often?~

or in other words try to shoot the lowest gross score?

For me, its very rarely. Usually when i play with friends, we are playing some skins-type game. Since i am usually giving shots, I need to be VERY aggressive. Even when playing alone, I usually just go out and try to see how many birdies I can make.

One of my goals for next year is to play smarter and actually start playing in some tourneys. I realized that I need to make it more of a habit to play under control.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Re: Do you play "smart" AND How often?~

Nope, even in stroke play I go for it (except par 5s which I play as par 5s). Given the choice between a risky shot between two trees 5 ft apart from 20 yards or chipping out sideways I would take the shot. I have a big switch in my head which goes into the off position if I am trying to play safe, and normally make a hash of it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I use to be a do or die merchant especially when Ascot was housed inside the racecourse and there was a fair margin for error. Now we are on a tighter and longer course and with my handicap falling nicely I'm more pragmatic especially if I'm in touch in a competition. On my own the voice in my head urging me to have a go will normally win through but I've got him on a tight leash with a card in my hand (most of the time!!!!!!!!!)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

I'll look at the shot and if I think I can pull it off I'll go for it.
I'll also look at the damage I could do if I mess it up. If, by messing it up I'm going to be no worse off than by not going for it then its gung-ho!!

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk

I do and I don't. I'll often start a round with the best intentions, and then as the round progresses, I start playing risker shots. Often to the detriment of the card.

Yesterday was a case in point. Blew it on the last hole, with a very stupid shot that was high risk do or die 2nd to the green. It failed. I lost the match!

When will I learn!?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site

So much depends on where I'm playing, even down to the hole design.
I'm a conservative player but that doesn't mean I never try risky things and go for it.