Do you play over the winter?

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
Play all year round , I dont mind the cold or wet. I like to play golf and arent bothered by the conditions , most people are beaten before they start when the weather is bad. I like to take advantage of that and take their money

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
most people are beaten before they start when the weather is bad. I like to take advantage of that and take their money

I know loads of guys who'll get onto the first in full waterproofs moaning that they can't play in them and then watch as they try and make a big swing as if they feel the urge to compensate and swing much quicker/harder.

In my opinion swing smoother and club up. Keep a few towels dry in your bag with a couple of gloves or those ones that grip better when wet. Make sure you dry the grips before swinging and remember the conditions are the same for everyone. Have a positive mental attitude and grind it out. I find that I'm usually pretty well placed in wet conditions as I love the challenge

DMC

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If the course is open and playable,then yes i will play. I go to the range twice a week,if nothing else it gets you away from the house for a few hours.

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wont be playing any competitions over the winter, but I might just go out for a few holes every now and again. I dont really take to much interest on my putting over the winter months because of the greens. I shall be visiting the range more this winter and doing alot of chipping and short iron shots.
I played quite a bit last winter and it really messed up my putting for this year, so not going down that road again.
Wouldn't it be great if we had good weather all year and not just "summer" oh what's summer?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I will play a few times through the winter but won't bother if the greens are frozen or anywhere near it.
We have a course near us called Lewes which because of it's location on the top of a hill is barely damp when all around is flooded. They have never (to the best of my knowledge) had a temporary green, and you play off grass tees most of the year. Only a couple of the par 3's have mats. That's where I will be heading during January/February should I venture out.
The only thing that kills Lewes stone dead is the wind. If it is blowing 10mph down in the town, you can reckon on 40mph winds up on the top of the hill, so you have to choose your days carefully.
I have come off of the course in the middle of winter and my shoes have been as clean as when I started.
A great winter venue.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Treat yourself do as we do go to Portugal for a week in January 5 days golf superb.

Lewes is £20.00 for the day on a county card.
Vilamoura Old is about £90.00 a round now
;)

Having said that, the Algarve is super but I won't be returning until the Euro, and my putting, improves

DCB

Visit site
Winter is the time to look upon golf as a form of exercise and an excuse not to go shopping etc on a Saturday. :D

It's good to get out in the fresh air at a time of year when it can be dark when I leave the house and dark long before I get home.

I don't go out when the course is flooded or frozen, but otherwise it's good to get even just a few holes in. :D

By January, it's almost over and thoughts turn to the season starting at the end of March. :D

Winter golf is not taken too seriously, unless I'm on a trip down the coast where conditions are usually great all year round.

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Don't stop playing as the course remains on full greens.

Only time I am not out is if there is a frost as I hate temp greens

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I only joined my club in april and have a handicap of 21......Iv set a goal for myself to have broke into single figures by this time next year.... I have the drive and the discipline and desire so hopefully i can keep things going through the winter....At least that way i can keep things in check a bit as well as being able to play in different conditions which i think can be a big advantage over the sunshine boys that may if there lucky see sammy for 2 out of out our 12 months of the year.... :D

berrymoss

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I only joined my club in april and have a handicap of 21......Iv set a goal for myself to have broke into single figures by this time next year.... I have the drive and the discipline and desire so hopefully i can keep things going through the winter....At least that way i can keep things in check a bit as well as being able to play in different conditions which i think can be a big advantage over the sunshine boys that may if there lucky see sammy for 2 out of out our 12 months of the year.... :D

Looks like a challenge there the ???

That's my goal too

:cool:

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site

Nothing im sure with perseverence hard work and discipline we cant achieve Teslar :D :D
Oh and Half decent weather :D

Looks like a challenge there the ???

That's my goal too

:cool:

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I love winter golf, for a start no fair weather golfers hacking the course to bits with their dunlops and nothing better than sitting on a bench half way with a flask of coffee on a crisp sunny morning.

Soon it will be turkey season!!! Turkey trophy, turkey scramble, turkey medal, turkey stableford, turkey any bloody thing, last year I think even people who NR'd got a bloody turkey!! Then once and if the turkeys are out of the way its.... Bottle season!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I quit from October until April, and do not play anywhere except if on holiday or business in a warm place overseas during that time.

Have been doing that for about 20 years now without apparent detriment to the handicap.