Do you need a rescue club?

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I guess it's each to their own. I used to carry 3, 5 & 7 woods but I ditched the 3 wood because for the extra distance I was getting over the 5 wood it wasn't worth the risk. The 7 wood was duplicated in distance to a long iron so that went and then I realised I hit my 4 hybrid well enough with minimal risk to lose the 5 wood, so now I have no fairway woods and one 4 hybrid, which is an TM RBZ. This pains me because when they were launched I swore I would never have anything in my bag named "Rocketballz". Its now the oldest club in the bag and I haven't found anything to match it.
That said, I am tempted to look at a 5 wood again to see if it would give me any more safe distance.
Considering the above, I would go with what works for you.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I find myself thinking I should carry a rescue for those times I'm in the rough (a lot) when anything above an 8 iron wont budge the ball.
Any thoughts?

I carry a 7 wood for exactly this type of situation. Also gives a great high flight if trying to get to a well protected green from about 170-180 yards.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't know how you guys cope with only one club between your driver and 4 iron/hybrid

:confused:
I have my driver and a 16 degree (3 wood loft) mini driver to use off the tee. My 4 hybrid goes about 190yds. My reasoning is that it's unlikely I am going to hit the green on a par 5 or very long par 4 with anything longer than a 190 yd club. I find it much easier to hit the hybrid than a 3 or 5 wood so why risk hitting the 5 wood for the extra 20 yards when its unlikely I am going to hit the green anyway? I find it's rare I need anything longer than 190yds to lay up, so when I carried a 5 wood I found I rarely used it.
That said, if I learned to use a fairway wood consistently and confidently I would be tempted to put one back in the bag.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I have a 3 and 5 Callaway X2Hot hybrid and I think they are great clubs. Off the tee, fairway, rough they can do in it all, and the 19* can go up to 230 yards if I just lean on it a bit.

351DRIVER

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
We are all individuals

I like them as a replacement for woods off the tee

They go further than irons, have a flatter flight and I never got on with fairway woods

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I go Driver , 3w, 5w, Reacue (22 deg 4I equivalent), then 5i and so on.

Not been playing very well with the rescue of late but usually it's invaluable especially with dodgy lies.