Do you know your swing speed ?

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
78mph on the day I was fitted at Mizuno last year with their 6 iron thingy. I've no idea what that equates to with a driver and I've no idea if it's the same now.

GuitarRich

Club Champion
Visit site
I had 75 measured for me on one of those Optishot Golf simulators, but I don't know how accurate it was. It was consistent tho - of the 20ish shots I hit on it most were around the same kind of speed. That was for a 7 iron.

S

Snelly

No I don't know my swing speed. I haven't got a clue. What difference would it make if I did?

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had mine measured several years ago when my driver was misbehaving.
Lowest figure was 104 mph and highest 111 mph,so i'm guessing thats about 107 mph average.
Having said all that,swinging with no consequence is completely different to a tight fairway with water down the left and cavernous bunkers and trees on the right.
So i'd imagine my swing speed is a little less than these figures,and exactly the reason why custom fitting is questionable.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Never had the driver measured but i have went on one of them launch monitor jobbies.....
After a dozen swings of a Ping S56 7 iron my average SS was coming out at 86 mph....

Iv no clue what i swing a driver at....If my shots are anything to go by its probably too fast....

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Swing speed is ere-levant to most players, it is ball speed and ball spin that is relevant.

Surely ball speed and spin are generated by the swing speed? Knowing your swing speed allows you to match a shaft type suited to the swing and therefore giving a greater ability to control said ball speed/spin... Or am I missing something?

munro007

Tour Rookie
www.craigmillarpark.co.uk
To most people.......;)

Most people are using the wrong shafts.

Yes they all tie in, but more emphasis should be make on consistently striking the ball from the middle of the club, and not just whacking the ball to get the highest club head speed. After all, its about letting the club do the work. :thup:

Ian_S

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Based on the fact that my drives go about 250yards, I reckon I swing about 100mph with the driver. Lot of assumptions in that number though, so could be anything.