Do you go to the seaside any more?

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We went to Bournemouth and Bridport for half term, my folks live along the coast from Bognor Regis and we're off to Hastings in the summer. The kids just love a beach and this year we didn't want the added hassle of travelling, we always have a great time.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very very rarely and only outside of the school holidays

When the children were young we used to go all the time with a choice of seaside resorts both North (Bristol Channel) and South (English Channel) of us within an hours drive.
We often used to go just for the evening after school.

My biggest bugbear these days is the relative cost of parking compared to 20 years ago. Years ago quite a few of the towns were free to park after 6pm not now.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Never had any inclination to 'go to the seaside' in my life anyway. That's not the kind of thing I find interesting or enjoyable. Even as a child I don't recall being bothered by it.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I do remember when I was young the seaside was a must place to visit.
Kids still love it, and they don't seem to notice the raw sewage and the litter.
I walked the beach from Weston to Burnham, via the sluice gate bridge now reopened, in February because I remembered what a good one it was.
But now, what a disappointment. Maybe the council don't have the money to clean it up any more.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Played golf with a guy on Sunday who was planning on heading off down to Brightlingsea beach with his missus with a bottle of red wine and a kebab. Sounded a wonderful idea....suggested it to the wife when I got home....we didnt go down the beach but we did have a kebab washed down with a cheap Shiraz in the gazebo.

I think you've just got to pick your beach/resort....always loved as a kid going to Swanage when visiting my grandparents, Bournemouth was good as well, Blackpool an absolute dive, had some good days out at Walton-on-th Naze....there was a Waltzer on the pier that I swear theyd loosened a load of nuts....was wickedly fast!!! However...for me this is the 3rd best beach in the world (partly for the childhood memories...Lossiemouth East Beach)...

east.jpg

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would need an adding machine to count the number of times we caught the train down to Margate or Broadstairs. As a child it was great fun, but sadly I think it's allure has been outdone by the foreign holiday beaches many have found.
Being a little older now, I don't really enjoy as much siting on a beach, however my grand-daughter loves it.
I think it's a but much to bitch about the British seasides, when in general they only make money for a few months of the year.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played golf with a guy on Sunday who was planning on heading off down to Brightlingsea beach with his missus with a bottle of red wine and a kebab. Sounded a wonderful idea....suggested it to the wife when I got home....we didnt go down the beach but we did have a kebab washed down with a cheap Shiraz in the gazebo.

I think you've just got to pick your beach/resort....always loved as a kid going to Swanage when visiting my grandparents, Bournemouth was good as well, Blackpool an absolute dive, had some good days out at Walton-on-th Naze....there was a Waltzer on the pier that I swear theyd loosened a load of nuts....was wickedly fast!!! However...for me this is the 3rd best beach in the world (partly for the childhood memories...Lossiemouth East Beach)...

View attachment 48109
I was posted to RAF Lossiemouth and Kinloss between 1994 and 2000 and lived in a house right on the seafront overlooking East Beach. The house roof may even be visible in your photo :)
Was a great beach

D

Deleted member 15344

My parents live by the seaside and it’s great fun for my daughter , the pier , on the beach , donkey rides etc.

Only looking at how busy it is there are still hundreds of thousands who visit the seaside

We also travel to Norfolk coast a couple times a year

Wish the seaside was closer to us

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Agree that so many Scottish beaches are still good, provided it isn't freezing cold or blowing a gale which it usually is.
Cockleshell beaches are best like on Barra.
Only snag, the one I recall is also a runway.

One year I trekked to Sandwood Bay. Saw only sea mist.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We generally go to Maidens [next to Turnberry] once a week. Free parking
Lovely place, usually quite quiet.

A mile to the north within the SNT Culzean estate is a lovely wee beach, usually deserted.
Of course there is also the beach at Turnberry for a nice lengthy walk.

Last edited:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I love the memories of childhood holidays spent on the beach from dawn to dusk pretty much. I was always very tanned by the end of summer with hair like straw (being a tomboy it was long, unkempt and unbrushed)!

So I still have that romantic connection to the sea and love the idea of it. In reality it never matches the idea/memory/dream especially as we tend to take the dogs and I spend most of the time in a panic about how far into the water they're going! Oh and the sand - gets everywhere!!

D

Deleted member 1147

Went to Filey last year, the first time in about 10 years, really enjoyed it.
May well go again this year, if able to fit it in.

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
When we were kids our parents used to take us to Butlins Bognor, loved it. On other occasions we would stay in a converted railway carriage on the beach at Pagham. Our son was at uni in Chichester and when I took him back after a weekend at home, we would divert to the beach at Pagham just so that I could reminisce, yes he thought I was bonkers too!