Do I need a 3wood and how many wedges

philsh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Looking for some advice. I had a custom fitting at the end of May and was told to drop the 3wood from my bag and use a driver, 5wood and rescue club and have a couple of wedges. Anyway got the my irons yesterday and the driver and that should be with me tomorrow but he hasn't sent me the extra wedges. I have been left feeling abit disappointed with the fitting as had to ask for a driver fitting etc. So anyway I have a pw loft 42.5 and sw loft 55 do I need any more wedges? Would it be worth buying a 3wood I was just gonna see how I got on before buying one.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
You do need a wedge in between those 2.

PW 42.5 what.... :) that's like a 8 1/2 iron in old money....

I'm confused, you were recommended to "drop" the 3 wood. What did you drop (did you have one, what happened to it?)

You don't necessarily need a 3 wood, depends on your game and style. I have an old Taylor Made 3 wood, totally unmatching the rest of my woods. Comes out to play maybe twice a game - hardly worth replacing (and I hit it well)....

philsh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You do need a wedge in between those 2.

PW 42.5 what.... :) that's like a 8 1/2 iron in old money....

I'm confused, you were recommended to "drop" the 3 wood. What did you drop (did you have one, what happened to it?)

You don't necessarily need a 3 wood, depends on your game and style. I have an old Taylor Made 3 wood, totally unmatching the rest of my woods. Comes out to play maybe twice a game - hardly worth replacing (and I hit it well)....

He asked what clubs I played with so told him just a cheap set of starter clubs from 10years ago with a driver, 3wood etc. Was hitting my new driver and thats when he said I wouldn't bother with a 3wood as how often did you use it and you only hit it an extra 15-20yards and the 3wood is harder to hit off the fairway so have an extra wedge as more options etc. He hasn't bothered to send me them so was wondering what to get and if he was right.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oh, I see.

Do you hit your driver miles and regularly off target? If so, a 3 wood is Gold.

If, like me your driver goes about as far as a 3 wood from a regular hitter, who needs a 3 wood?? :)

philsh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Oh, I see.

Do you hit your driver miles and regularly off target? If so, a 3 wood is Gold.

If, like me your driver goes about as far as a 3 wood from a regular hitter, who needs a 3 wood?? :)

My driving is getting better and better tbh. It used to be either straight or hooked to the right but slowly its getting better. I think i'm just about average distance. At the range I carry it about 225 but using a cobra s3 driver ive carried 250 just and I mean only just did that a couple of times but normally 225ish. With all this sun when next hit the course should go further with the bounce and that. My drives seems to land then only roll an extra 10yards. Still mess some up lol

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
My driving is getting better and better tbh. It used to be either straight or hooked to the right but slowly its getting better. I think i'm just about average distance. At the range I carry it about 225 but using a cobra s3 driver ive carried 250 just and I mean only just did that a couple of times but normally 225ish. With all this sun when next hit the course should go further with the bounce and that. My drives seems to land then only roll an extra 10yards. Still mess some up lol

Get a 3 wood. 225+ isn't average. It's also far enough to get into trouble when you mess up. 3 wood is the good play on shorter holes. Then again, a 5 wood might be plenty....depends on the course.

I hit the ball reliably straight enough but another 20 yards and I'd be in trouble quite often. I'd recommend a 3 wood.

philsh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Get a 3 wood. 225+ isn't average. It's also far enough to get into trouble when you mess up. 3 wood is the good play on shorter holes. Then again, a 5 wood might be plenty....depends on the course.

I hit the ball reliably straight enough but another 20 yards and I'd be in trouble quite often. I'd recommend a 3 wood.

I'll have ago at the range tomorrow with my 5wood see what im hitting then pop down to american golf and give a 3wood a bash and have a look for a wedge. Thanks everyone for helping me out. One day I might be able to help someone :)