Do Golfers Fake it?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
By and large, if I want something, I want the real thing. What's the point of a fake - you know it's not real, and you're just trying to either impress or con someone else - for some point or other. So if I can't afford, say, Titleist clubs, then I'll buy what I think is next best in my price range - which ain't likely to be fake Titleists. I want the best I can afford.

Never knowingly bought fake - although I did have doubts about the Rolex I bought on a beach for $3. An absolute snip - he originally wanted to charge me the full RRP of $50 but he let me haggle him down. (I think because it was rusty and had Rollex on the face). It got stolen later when we got burgled. Still can't work out who was likely to be the most disappointed - me or the bloke who stole it.

(And before I'm called hypocrite, about wanting the real thing - I always fancied a real fake Rolex and $3 was about the best fake Rolex I was prepared to afford...)

stevieb15

Hacker
Visit site
I bought a silk "Gucci" tie off EBay, obviously fake because it was about 12" shorter than it should have been...other than that spot on.
When businesses are generating quite ridiculous margins off silly brand adherents it's always going to happen.

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
All my golf stuff is kosher, buy cheap buy twice n'all that ;)

The only fake think I own is a Rado watch that my parents brought me from Patpong (spelling?) market in Thailand. It keeps remarkably good time :)

lyden

Head Pro
Visit site
I had a real tag watch and lost it on a night out smashed. Now i have a fake that serves the same purpose without the panicked search for it on a sunday morning.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
My take away from this thread is that is is immoral and unjust to use fake golf equipment. But most golfers are quite partial to a fake watch.;)