DIY Re-gripping

WideEyedFox

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Call me lazy, but I gave mine to the assistant Pro. I already had the grips but knew I'd either not be 100% happy with the result if they weren't perfect, or get so ticked off fitting them I'd make a mess.

Ryan at Ladbrook Park fitted them for £3 a club, as well as fitting the ProSoft inserts (http://www.prosoftinserts.com). Mint job, all straight and I'm happy.
If they supplied the grips I think fitting is free - but in my case I already had the Ping ID8 grips.

Good luck with yours :thup:

MarkHK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I always put a bit of masking tape just below the old grip and mark where the centre is before removeing it. This makes it much easier to line up the new grips once youe have put them on.

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I looked online at videos too before considering re-gripping a few of my irons. I then asked the friendly pro at my club to give me a hand the first time. He showed me the first club, then I did two with him watching like an eagle on the first and just checking the second.

Tips I picked up were these:
1/ Use loads of white spirit, no such thing as too much.
2/ Vice not needed, just wedge the club head against something firm on the floor.
3/ Align the new grip as best you can before slipping it on.
4/ Get the tip of the grip onto the shaft from an angled approach rather then trying to feed it straight onto the shaft.
5/ Check you've got the grip all the way onto the shaft first and then tinker with the alignment if needed.
6/ Don't panic, it doesn't dry super quick, so if you aren't happy pull the grip off, clean it out with spirit and start again.

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
it shouldn't be a problem even if you do make a mess of one. if you need to tak it back off again use a knitting needle to lift the end of the grip away from the shaft and dribble white spirit down between the grip and the shaft. keep doing it slowly until you can work the needle all the way down to the butt end of the grip and pull it off the shaft. rinse the grip with white spirit and it's all intact for you to make a mess of it again...

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I fancy a bash at this also, so what tape and tools to buy experienced fellas? and any do's and don't tips for people who are terrible at DIY and never done it before?

I tried it for the first time about a year and a half ago.

From what I remember they do the grip tape in 2 sizes. 2" you can put on vertically and wrap round, 3/4" you wind round helter-skelter style. I found the 2" easier.

As someone else said, be generous with the white spirit. If you use a drip tray underneath you're not wasting any that you pour over.

If you use a vice, make sure the bench won't move. I bent a shaft without realising because the bench had moved so that the clubhead was pressing against the wall by the toe when I was pushing the grip down. :eek:

Someone mentioned about putting tape on the shaft to mark the centre line, but it's also a good idea so that you don't over-stretch the grip as you slide it down.

Not done it again since. Twice I've bought new irons before the grips needed doing ;)