Dispute as to being OB

Jono_3

Hacker
Visit site
Hi All

I was having a social game today playing fbbb. My playing partner knocked his tee shot into the trees and was very closely OB. He asked me to check and I said I thought it was OB, although clearly he didn't think this was the case. Someone from the other team came over and although he seemed to think it was OB, he told him to carry on - it was only a friendly knock afterall and not worth arguing.

The problem was that because one of the conifer's was a bit overgrown you couldn't see one white stake from the other, so it was difficult to pinpoint.

Anyway it got me thinking. What would the procedure in a match/comp be if there was a dispute for a ball being OB, whereby the player thought it was in and the opponent/competitor thought it was out?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
In a match, the player should do what he thinks is correct and his opponent may/should make a claim. Rule 2-5
In strokeplay, the player should play two balls under rule 3-2 and report the matter to the committee at the end of the round.

If a referee is available, ask.

Jono_3

Hacker
Visit site
Ok yea makes sense for strokeplay. However, unless there is a referee there and then playing two balls will make no difference. It's still a matter of opinion whether it is out or not, unless there's a lengthy piece of rope handy. However, as you say the committee can rule on it and decide which one counts given the weight of evidence.

In matchplay however lets face it most clubs don't have a referee on site. There is no option to play two balls. Would the player lose in equity? or should it come down to the integrity of the player? or neither?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
In a match, the player should do what he thinks is correct and his opponent may/should make a claim. Rule 2-5
In strokeplay, the player should play two balls under rule 3-3 and report the matter to the committee at the end of the round.

If a referee is available, ask.

:thup:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok yea makes sense for strokeplay. However, unless there is a referee there and then playing two balls will make no difference. It's still a matter of opinion whether it is out or not, unless there's a lengthy piece of rope handy. However, as you say the committee can rule on it and decide which one counts given the weight of evidence.

In matchplay however lets face it most clubs don't have a referee on site. There is no option to play two balls. Would the player lose in equity? or should it come down to the integrity of the player? or neither?

The real issue in MP is that if the opponent claims the ball is out he has to decide then and there whether to play it and rely on the committee sharing his opinion, or accept it's out. Whilst this is usually clear cut it can be a problem when, for example, his opponent has also gone OOB...however, any player should feel that their judgement will be matched by the committee 👍

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
The Committee can save itself and the players a lot of angst if it sets up the course so that the OOB stakes are visible one to the next.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

In both cases, ultimately the committee would have to visit the site and make a decision.

In a match, both players can express their opinions. The player by playing as he believes right and his opponent, by making a timely claim under rule 5-2. Equity, as understood in the rules, doesn't come into it. Fairness does.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's probably stating the obvious, but if the question is being referred to the committee the position of the ball that may or may not be OOB needs to be clearly marked. I for one would not take kindly to having to hike out into the wet woods to be told "my ball was round about here, I think". :)