DI's...

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Driving irons, seen one in a local charity shop and was thinking about seeing if I can pick it up cheap enough...

Anybody use one regularly or are they just a bit of a gimmick and I'd be better of sticking to the 3/7-wood and 4h that I've already got in the bag...

Just interested in giving it a bit of a bash really speshly if I can pick it up for next to nowt, wodda you guys reckon ?... :thup:

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you can generate enough club head speed then its worth to try, you mention you can have it for peanuts give it a go if you don't like just sell it.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have a 3 driving iron which I mainly use for tee shots into the wind or when I just want to play safe. I like it and can hit it pretty well, but if you miss the middle, it goes absolutely nowhere. Woods and Hybrids are a lot more forgiving but if you need a low spinning shot it is good to have. I use it maybe once a round and more if its windy.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a taylormade 18 deg udi, (2 iron), its very easy to hit, especially off the tee, if i play it low I can get a lot of run, but its very easy to launch high also. I usually use it on shorter par 4s, but it also gives another option dependent on conditions. I was rubbish off the tee with a hybrid, so this fits right in there for me! Definitely worth a go as for me they give a lot more options.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Didn't get a chance to go get it today so first thing in the morning I'll pay a visit and see what they want for it, no price on it so possibly open to offers although knowing charity shops of today they'll probably want a small fortune for it, I'll keep thee posted... :thup:

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Well, a whole 2 quid sealed the deal, now just gotta get her out on the course which may well be later this afternoon (if I have my way) just gotta get past the missus as she's got me stripping bloody wallpaper at the moment... :angry:

I "HATE" decorating with a passion, if I wanted to hang wallpaper and such s**te I'd have qualified as a 'painter and decorator' and not a 'green keeper' wouldn't you have thought...

She's a qualified 'hairdresser' and as such I don't expect her to cut the grass in the back garden do I, nope I don't, makes my blood boil it does...

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
I have 2 driving irons, a 1 for practicing with and a 3 for playing with. Great for tee shots into the wind, tight tree lined fairways or getting the ball down the fairway from under the trees.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Finally got to take it out for a spin this morning and what a difference it makes on our par 3's in particular 5, 7 and 10 all being 200yds or so, give or take...

Nice low piercing shot into a head-wind with plenty of distance and some good roll-out and accurate too !...

A couple of tops to start off with but once I'd got the swing of it I was away...

It produces a nice ting when hit well and still produces reasonable distance and accuracy when duffed, found that out soon enough... :rolleyes:

Can see it being used quite a bit throughout the windy winter months at our place, in fact most of the year round as more often than not it's windy being a cliff top course...

Well worth the 2 quid layout... :thup:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have a Ping Crossover 3 (18 degrees) with tour shaft.

I love it. Great for nailing it off the back foot into the wind or from a tight tee shot. Makes a 3 wood redundant for me.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
On the back of this - I am not a fan of a course with more than one long par 3.

A course should have some variation in its par 3s. Nothing better than a course having a 120, 150, 170, 190ish yard par 3s.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Ours range from 140-210 and we have 6 par-3's in total, 3 on the front 9 and 3 on the back 9... :thup:

ps, 3 are over 200yds off the white/medal tee's...

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have a Ping Crossover 3 (18 degrees) with tour shaft.

I love it. Great for nailing it off the back foot into the wind or from a tight tee shot. Makes a 3 wood redundant for me.

How long you had it? I'm struggling with hybrids into longer par 3's and tempted by this. Was this a shaft standard? How form would the standard S be?

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Not 100% sure really, it's got 'Aaron Scott by Tomozui' stamped on it, I know it's a 1i and I'm presuming it's around a 16° loft, the shaft is 'Dynaflex' in super-flex which I'm presuming is a reg/stiff as it feels quite firm and it swings and hits beautifully...

I only bought it for its novelty value really and for the couple of quid it cost me it had to be worth a punt surely...

Certainly got the ole brain matter working overtime, if it pays off over time I may consider upgrading to something like the 'UDI' or 'Ping Crossover' but only time will tell... :thup:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Got a 1 & 2 Mizuno Fli Hi, only 1 will be in the bag at a time but depending on weather conditions & tee placements it's a great alternative off the tee on 5 holes at the home club. I was always a bit indifferent with the wood style hybrids, find I prefer these.