Dimples

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
While I know the size/shape/depth/number of dimples on a ball can hugely change how it performs in-flight do they have any impact when its rolling on the green (whether that’s an approach shot or a putt) and if so how?

Does one shape or pattern of dimple keep a ball ‘on its line’ more than another, does the size of dimple effect roll distance

Just pondering at work…

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A blade of grass poking in to the 'wrong' dimple at the crucial moment...........
or was it a grain of sand?

What does affect it more is how much the ball has gone out of shape, how big are the scuff marks etc

I would have thought that in the world of physics taken down to the microscope or magnifying glass level the bigger the dimples (and deeper) the more likely that the roll would be affected.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
While I know the size/shape/depth/number of dimples on a ball can hugely change how it performs in-flight do they have any impact when its rolling on the green (whether that’s an approach shot or a putt) and if so how?

Does one shape or pattern of dimple keep a ball ‘on its line’ more than another, does the size of dimple effect roll distance

Just pondering at work…

one 'study' findings here

http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/~cross/GOLF/Putting.pdf

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
thanks coach, just read it with my bacon roll

if nowt else i'm going to use it as an excuse this weekend but quite interesting reading

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This doesn't seem such a hard thing to test. I'm surprised that someone like mygolfspy hasn't done it on the major brands to see if there's much variation.

I'm also surprised that the manufactures themselves haven't done it and plugged the winner - perhaps the fact that they haven't means that there is no discernable difference?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
This doesn't seem such a hard thing to test. I'm surprised that someone like mygolfspy hasn't done it on the major brands to see if there's much variation.

I'm also surprised that the manufactures themselves haven't done it and plugged the winner - perhaps the fact that they haven't means that there is no discernable difference?

Basically the existence of dimples creates the opportunity for variation - the bigger the dimples and the more perfect the surface the greater the effect.

As you remove the dimples (smaller, shallower) the effect reduces, but the surface the ball is rolling on will have a bigger impact; much bigger impact.

And all that is before you consider any imperfections on the surface (as opposed to the qualities inherent in the surface).

Then there's any variation in centred mass in the manufacturing of the ball....

Amazing we can sink any putts really 🤔

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Maybe something for the regular Lounge area for kicks but might be fun to list some ridiculous ball excuses we can try out this weekend after missing any shortish putt...

Duncan's: The center mass on that ball doesn't seem right!
(after finally tapping in you could retrieve the ball from the hole and shake it next to your ear :D )

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe something for the regular Lounge area for kicks but might be fun to list some ridiculous ball excuses we can try out this weekend after missing any shortish putt...[/QUOTE

Does being blootered count? ]

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having read the article I am amazed that the Proff failed to make sure that the ball was balanced before carrying out his tests So his methodology is flawed.

Did it roll off line because of the dimples or because one side of the ball was heavier than the other?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Having read the article I am amazed that the Proff failed to make sure that the ball was balanced before carrying out his tests So his methodology is flawed.

Did it roll off line because of the dimples or because one side of the ball was heavier than the other?

I took the last paragraph of the section regarding rolling to indicate that he had taken that possibility into account ie tested the balls he used in the test.