Dilemma - rebuild or push on, advice greatly appreciated.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Howdy folks - usually when I ask a question (as with many folks) I am actually just looking for affirmation that my choice is the right one - but I genuinely have no clue which path to take. I've always appreciated the advice offered here by golfers who have either been through it themselves or can offer a sensible word, so here it goes...

Started golf 2010 after a 15 year absence, took about 6 lessons that season to get fundamentals right, was shooting in the 90s but no h/c so not official. 2011 got new clubs (old ones were very, very bad) and joined a local farmers field of a course, now shooting in high 80s off yellow tees. End 2011 got my first h/c of 17, soon moved to new (far nicer) club. Over the winter did a fair bit of practising in a field near work at lunch time, using Youtube videos to self-teach a bit of mechanics but mostly pitching around.

2012 saw the results of this and I got down to 11 before nudging back to 12 (think I put too much pressure on myself to go lower and threw away some good rounds). Just won the club singles matchplay comp last week, the final was played in tough conditions but the semi-final was the best I've ever played, wrapping it up on the 14th I was told (by my opponents caddy, I wasn't counting) that I was 3 over gross.

So my question is this - where do I go from here? Do I continue on my path of self-reliance or start getting serious and undertake a lesson plan with a pro? If I go on my own am I bedding in a swing that will only make it more difficult for me to change if and when the point comes when I can't get any better without an overhaul? Or does that matter - will I have to suffer through a period of rubbish play anyway? For that matter is the winter the best time to do it, when I won't be playing that much, or should I wait to plateau and then think about lessons - surely in the summer you have more opportunity to practice and play so the changes bed in quicker?

Confused. I want to enjoy my golf, and there's nothing more enjoyable (for me anyway) than playing well. I dont mind the practice, I enjoy the practice, its all part of it. I raise my game against better players and next year will be playing for the club so don't want to let myself or anyone else down, is this the wrong time to change what has been working, or is there a wall I'm close to hitting without coaching?

Man thats a lot of questions. I am honestly head-wrecked here trying to decide.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
You have reached your level based on your own practice, and as the swing is something that needs looked at by a knowledgable eye (or surround yourself with video cameras) and the fact you like practicing, then my opinion based on your OP is get a series of lessons over winter, make sure the coach knows the level you want to get to, then practice what is right for you...

...if you re-BUILD it, they will come (fun and scores that is)

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Curls , Im 43 , ive never had a lesson , dont watch swing videos or know much about shaft, head or ball technology stuff , but im at the same crossroads u seem to be at .. im at 7 & can play to it most (not all) times , i also seem to have found that wall you speak of , i need a short game lesson if i realy wana push on .. i am going to ask the pro tho sharpen what i have , i do not want major swing changes .. i want to play well , but if i stop enjoying it , id pack it in altogether

I hope to get couple of lessons before christmas & work on them before the new season kicks off ..

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks chaps - I guess that's the thing, I don't feel like I've hit the wall yet, trying to figure out how far away it is. Its very impressive to think you could get to 7 without a lesson, looks like you had a pretty consistent season despite the weather. Darth did you always have coaching or was there a point like this you reached? Cheers lads

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think you should go for a lesson.

Sometimes, a player can get dragged down into a never-ending cycle of stuff. Other times, a pro will see something so obvious you'll be kicking yourself for not going sooner.

Back in July (?) I could hardly hit a ball. One lesson later (after I got him to agree to NOT work on my take-away and posture, which is what most pros want to fix) I'd fixed a terrible thing that was ruining my game. 4 months later, if I can remember that, I'm can stroll it round without fear.....my score just depends on my short game a.t.m.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'd say it depends. Do you know what your faults are?

You might have a fundamentally solid swing and just lack consistency or need 1 or 2 tweaks, or you might have a swing only a mother could love that will not get you any lower no matter how much you practice.

I wouldn't do it for the sake of it, but if getting lower means a lot to you and you have swing #2 then go for it. Just be prepared to aspire to mediocrity for a while and don't be tempted so revert part of it because it felt better.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Using a cliche from an employee annual review or interview: where do you really want to be in a few years time? What will you do or sacrifice to get there? Do you want to tidy bits of your game out, or do wholesale changes?

I think to best answer the above, is to analyse your game and look where you think you leak shots. Then address that area with lessons/self-teach vids. Or better still, have a 9h playing lesson with a pro and see what he thinks. Make sure you play your current game though and don't do shots that you think the pro should be seeing.

If you really want get better, then you have to look at decent pro lessons. Certainly you can self-teach as much as you want, but it is riskier path to take in my opinion.

Good luck! (from a man who has taken 18 months to move from a cut swing to a draw swing - it was soooo worth it!)

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd say go see a pro, he'll be able to tell you what to work on to get lower. fair enough getting as low as you have by urself, and its great to workl things out by ur self. i know that what ive been doing the last couple months cos i havent had the time to go see a pro. But it will definetly be worth the money, and at least as you say you wont be working on something thats gona be harder to change in the long run.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
To some what others would call a rebuild of a swing is just standard improvements or changes. It is what you call it.

I would suggest a course of lessons, see it as coaching instead. Sometimes how you name or view something can impact on its effect!

Sometimes calling it a rebuild would benefit, especially your game goes sour for a while. If it doesn't then it might be better to term it as coaching instead!

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
great question we've all been there i think..

you like practicing i'd recommend a lesson for sure but take your time to find a good pro, recommendations etc

with the lessons i wouldn't personally go for a series, changing an element of your swing can take a long time to bed in.
you may think you've got it but then slip back to your old ways etc, id recommend a lesson at least once a month apart probably more so any changes form a natural part of your swing before you move onto the next stage.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Having come down from 34 to 19 in my first season, I coul be forgiven if I continued what i was doing, however I have embarked on a series of lessons, which has resulted in nearly everythign I do being changed. I am not seeing consistant results yet but when I do hit a good one I can tell the difference, so I am confident the consistancy will come and I will be able to get quite a bit lower.

But at the end of the day its your choice.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sound all round lads and lassies.

I guess my swing is okay, probably a bit flat and I have a tendency not to take a full swing, my natural shot is a draw and bad shot is a duck hook or pull. I think it was better at the start of the season weirdly! Think Ive spent so long concentrating on not concentrating on mechanics it might have suffered. However doing that has freed me to focus on targets, my short game and in particular putting has improved a lot over the season just through playing regularly and the advise of a couple of good books. Maybe I should bite the bullet and put a video up here some day. But I think the consensus seems to be an on-the-course lesson and go from there, like you say it might not need to be as drastic as I'm imagining. As for what I want from it all - to be competitive next season in inter-club matches in particular, I don't have a number in mind but I'd certainly like to be in single figures before too long into the season. This Saturday is the last qualifier of the season, Saturday after - might be lesson time.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
In all honesty I don't think there is a 100% right answer. For example, there are any number of top class professionals that have little quirks in their set up and swing that wouldn't be considered classic, nor would any teaching pro promote those quirks. Irrespective of how much you've improved, I'd say go and get the fundimentals checked.

As for a total rebuild, again that depends on your ambitions in the game. Unless you want to be the next Masters winner, and earn millions on the tour, I'd be reluctant to do such a radical change especially as you are having fun and success with what you've got.

If you are going to have lessons don't turn up and let the pro treat you as a blank canvas. Yes, he's the expert but equally there's nowt stopping you from telling him your hopes and expectations.

drutz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Having come down from 34 to 19 in my first season, I coul be forgiven if I continued what i was doing, however I have embarked on a series of lessons, which has resulted in nearly everythign I do being changed. I am not seeing consistant results yet but when I do hit a good one I can tell the difference, so I am confident the consistancy will come and I will be able to get quite a bit lower.

But at the end of the day its your choice.

/\ This

I am also having lessons and when I do hit those good shots they feel so much better. t is now my consistancy I am working towards. Good luck whatever you decide and don't forget you have done so well already

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Thanks chaps - I guess that's the thing, I don't feel like I've hit the wall yet, trying to figure out how far away it is. Its very impressive to think you could get to 7 without a lesson, looks like you had a pretty consistent season despite the weather. Darth did you always have coaching or was there a point like this you reached? Cheers lads

I got down to 5 without any coaching and no internet (old guy now lol) and a set of clubs off the pro's shelf because I could afford them..just. No idea of shafts/swing weights/SS/lofts and lies just read John Jacobs book and practiced a lot....

then got lessons as my swing wasnt reliable under pressure and I had no idea how to fix it when it fell apart...........then got lower and more consistent but without constant practice its very hard to stay low, but its great fun trying:whoo:

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I got down to 5 without any coaching and no internet (old guy now lol) and a set of clubs off the pro's shelf because I could afford them..just. No idea of shafts/swing weights/SS/lofts and lies just read John Jacobs book and practiced a lot....

then got lessons as my swing wasnt reliable under pressure and I had no idea how to fix it when it fell apart...........then got lower and more consistent but without constant practice its very hard to stay low, but its great fun trying:whoo:

No internet?! What are you, like, 40?

:whistle:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have just started a process to change my swing this winter. I have got to 10 (with no real short game to fall back on) but there are so many flaws. When it is good and the timing is on I can play well. When its off the issues cause real problems. I started work on a one plane swing last Christmas and I've hit it better in 2012. However I want to get rid of some of the major issues, especially the back swing going too far and across the line and losing spine angle.

It will be a long hard process and I've a goal of 6-7 (with a working short game) but I've basically put aside winter golf to work on my game. Will it be worth it? Time will tell but for me this is the last chance (age etc) to get something better and repeatable and so it is worth the heartache

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Curls, only you can answer your questions, the better you get at golf the more time/commitment you need to keep playing to that level. If you have the time AND the commitment then perhaps it's worth it.... if you can determine that it will be rewarding enough for you. Golf is fun, it's also a challenge, if you think it's frustrating now just wait until you only have a few shots to play with!