Digital editions of golf mags - idea for GM?

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Just got an email from Today's Golfer which reads as follows

I'm delighted to be able to tell you that as a valued Today’s Golfer subscriber we're treating you to a FREE trial of our interactive digital edition for the iPad/iPhone. You’ll still get your normal print copy in the post every 4 weeks but now you can also enjoy your favourite magazine on your iPad/iPhone, for 3 issues, completely free of charge.

Possibly GM could look at doing something like this? Looks like a good idea to get people trying out the digital edition as I am assuming that is where the magazine companies want people to go eventually. Only problem is that I have an Android tablet so won't be able to partake :(

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just got an email from Today's Golfer which reads as follows

I'm delighted to be able to tell you that as a valued Today’s Golfer subscriber we're treating you to a FREE trial of our interactive digital edition for the iPad/iPhone. You’ll still get your normal print copy in the post every 4 weeks but now you can also enjoy your favourite magazine on your iPad/iPhone, for 3 issues, completely free of charge.

Possibly GM could look at doing something like this? Looks like a good idea to get people trying out the digital edition as I am assuming that is where the magazine companies want people to go eventually. Only problem is that I have an Android tablet so won't be able to partake :(

I think that GM subscribers already get the digital edition free on Ipad and that it is every edition not just a few. They have the same problem as TG in setting up something similar on Android though so no free digital edition for Android users.

Hacker Khan

Visit site
I think that GM subscribers already get the digital edition free on Ipad and that it is every edition not just a few.

Do they? I'm a paper mag subscriber and I'm pretty sure I've not seen anything where you can get a free ipad edition? Or may be I have not been looking, I'll investigate more as the wife has an ipad.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I might be wrong but I think It's extra to get GM interactive aswell as on paper. Think there's 3 options when subscribing. Paper,ipad or both.

Stegsie

Head Pro
Visit site
I must admit, I don't like any digital editions (not just GM) I have tried all my usual mags in digital format and non of them give me the same feeling as a proper mag. I much prefer to pickup a paper copy.

Strange really, considering I am in the IT industry and use my ipad for about 4 hours a day (probably why I prefer not to use it to read a mag, actually!) I use a kindle to read, but I find that magazines need to be just that - a magazine!

Nothing beats a proper copy of the magazine.

Hacker Khan

Visit site
I must admit, I don't like any digital editions (not just GM) I have tried all my usual mags in digital format and non of them give me the same feeling as a proper mag. I much prefer to pickup a paper copy.

Strange really, considering I am in the IT industry and use my ipad for about 4 hours a day (probably why I prefer not to use it to read a mag, actually!) I use a kindle to read, but I find that magazines need to be just that - a magazine!

Nothing beats a proper copy of the magazine.

I'd like to try it out. I think what could work very well is the instruction pictures you see in the paper mag will hopefully be videos in the digital mag. And that sounds good to me. Now if only the golf mags got round to doing it for android......

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
Dont know whether its just me, but I think that if you are subscribing to the electronic version is should be a fair bit cheaper than the paper version. I had a look last night at the electronic version and the price was MORE expensive than the mag, now £4 to access it seems a little much.

I think if they went for 75% cost of the paper version more people would go for it. And if you subscribe annualy maybe 60% of the total for 13 issues.

I subscribed for a few years but no longer do due to seeing the same tips year on year. I would go for the elctronic version if the price was more reasonable as I can get away with sitting in work reading it and no one knowing I wasnt actually working.

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
Dont know whether its just me, but I think that if you are subscribing to the electronic version is should be a fair bit cheaper than the paper version. I had a look last night at the electronic version and the price was MORE expensive than the mag, now £4 to access it seems a little much.

I think if they went for 75% cost of the paper version more people would go for it. And if you subscribe annualy maybe 60% of the total for 13 issues.

I subscribed for a few years but no longer do due to seeing the same tips year on year. I would go for the elctronic version if the price was more reasonable as I can get away with sitting in work reading it and no one knowing I wasnt actually working.

Sure the team will correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure the bulk of the cost is actually preparing the magazine for print rather than the print run itself. Then for the digital copy you've got to factor in the time taken to embed interactive content and bug check.

I think I'd quite like a digital version especially as the team produce more and more multimedia content but alas I don't have an iPad :(