Different grip for irons to longer clubs?

ScoopUK

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone uses different grips on their irons to their longer clubs, ie hybrid, wood and driver?

I've noticed if I play quite a bit of golf on course and/or driving range within a few days the middle knuckle on the forefinger of my left hand gets sore. I currently use an overlapping grip. I guess this is telling me I must be 'torquing' the joint or otherwise putting strain on it. It's a noticeable discomfort when swinging the longer clubs.

A quick experiment today with a stronger ten finger grip on hybrid, wood and driver feels much more natural... but not on the irons for me. It totally eliminates the discomfort in the knuckle too.

Anyone else alter their grip between different club types?

I have fairly large hams for hands, thick fingers if that makes much of a difference to grip type. Interlocking just doesn't work at all for me.

Cheers helpful community!

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone uses different grips on their irons to their longer clubs, ie hybrid, wood and driver?

I've noticed if I play quite a bit of golf on course and/or driving range within a few days the middle knuckle on the forefinger of my left hand gets sore. I currently use an overlapping grip. I guess this is telling me I must be 'torquing' the joint or otherwise putting strain on it. It's a noticeable discomfort when swinging the longer clubs.

A quick experiment today with a stronger ten finger grip on hybrid, wood and driver feels much more natural... but not on the irons for me. It totally eliminates the discomfort in the knuckle too.

Anyone else alter their grip between different club types?

I have fairly large hams for hands, thick fingers if that makes much of a difference to grip type. Interlocking just doesn't work at all for me.

Cheers helpful community!

as a kinda general rule through the bag on a full swing the grip hold is a deal better if it's the same in terms of where the handle 'sits' in both hands

you'd want the handle running more at 90º to the last 3 fingers - so with the lead hand more like you'd have the hand to pick-up a heavy suitcase - you wouldn't do that by either having the suitcase handle high up in the palm next to the thumb pad neither would you have the suitcase handle running diagonally across the palm
you'd also want the lead thumb to be atop the grip just covering the top right side (as you look down) of the handle

similarly with the trail hand last 3 finger more at 90º to the handle & when you bring in the trail hand from the trailside to introduce that hand you want the trail hand palm to be looking upwards a tad which then places the trail elbow down a tad & also the trail thumb pad to sit on top of or cover the lead thumb - the forefinger of the trail has a tad of a gap to the middle finger

with both creases of both hands forefingers & thumbs to point in the region of just past the right ear (so somewheres around mid trail shoulder)

can you similarly take a grip hold like this for the driver 3 metal in baseball form - you can as long as those above things still apply to where the handle 'sits' in both hands - but usually though not always better if you can mange to have the same kinda overlap grip hold for all clubs

often times when folks say parts of the hands or fingers hurt in some ways it is a grip hold issue in terms of just where the handle is
often times too its a let go & re-grip issue during the swing that usually at the top of the backswing & into transition - most often that too is down to either set-up grip hold &/or how the hands are being 'set' during the takeback/backswing

sometimes it's a grip diameter issue - sometimes all of the above
big hands wide fingers don't go well with interlock as a norm but there are exceptions to that for sure - usually & optimally
the overlap is better for control - but folks can use the baseball grip don't get a whole lot of top or elite players do this but there a some who have in the past and do now

if possible get a pro to look over set-up & the grip hold & whether there is a technique issue like a re-grip during the swing &/or tad funky 'set' to the hands - worth a check of grip diameter if hands extra large

Last edited: