Difference between a driver swing and an iron swing?

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sometimes I play irons well and driver terrible, then other times it’s vice versa. On those days I can’t quite work out what I’m doing wrong and what I need to adjust.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
IT is simple - the longer the shaft the harder it is to control the club.

The more complicated stuff -

The only real differences between iron swing and driver swing is ball position in the stance and where the club is when it connects with the ball.

With short irons it is very much middle of the stance and hitting just before the club bottoms out as irons get longer the ball position moves increasingly forward and with the longest it might be that the club has actually bottomed out when hitting the ball.

With a driver you should be ,very much, hitting the ball after the club has bottomed out and is on the up swing.

All of this can lead to slightly different club face angles at impact depending on your swing.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
The primary difference (should be for most people...) the angle of attack which is, in turn, created by the positioning of the ball and the shoulder slope/spine angle.

What works well for the driver from a tee peg is unlikely to benefit a wedge on the fairway - so what you are experiencing is a possibility.

Then again it could be a lot of other things!

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
IN Faldo's videos the only real difference in the swing is that with a driver you may hinge your wrists a bit later with the driver to get a longer swing.

Other than that your swing should be the same but as others above have said the set up and angle of attack are different but that shouldn't mean you swing differently

D

Deleted Member 1156

Look for videos of Woosnam's swing on the net. Same swing for every club, as stated just the ball position changes.

If you try to hit the ball with different swings for different clubs then you are just overcomplicating things and making it even more difficult for yourself.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s all in the setup.

I prove this to myself many times by taking extra care to align myself an set up.

When I rush I hit bad shots, when I’m deliberate I generally hit good ones.

I have no idea what happens in the swing but for me it’s all setup and alignment between a good and bad result.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
It’s all in the setup.

I prove this to myself many times by taking extra care to align myself an set up.

I have no idea what happens in the swing but for me it’s all setup and alignment between a good and bad result.

I suppose that should be the case, if your swing is reasonably consistent then the main variable is your alignment and body position, your swing will follow where your body is set up so if that's wrong then then the club path will be wrong

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s all in the setup.

I know I’ll be in a minority but I find the more practice swings I take the more error creeps in.. last week was prime example 14 points going out practice swing on every tee.. second half just got my grip sorted. Lined up and hit it. Best golf I’ve ever played 23 points