Did you set yourself a target at the start of the season?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I've already mentioned it in three threads so apologies if you're getting tired of reading it but it's been a big day for me.

Depending on today's CSS I have hopefully reached single figures, which was my target for the year. :)
Considering the terrible start I made to the year I'm stunned.

I also played more B team matches this year and had a 75% win record, which was nice.

So it's been a great year for me (confimration due when HDID get the results out).

macca64

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Not really thought about it until Gibbo started the h/c thread so set myself a target of 14, got to 12.0 with .2 cut today so that was it.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
My target was an 18 handicap. No other targets but have exceed all expectations.

Handicap now 15.1

Won 2 comps at my home club and 2nd place in an away comp.

Won 2 society outings, also a 2nd place at another outing and a 4th place in a team comp and currently leading golfer of the year in one of the societies.

Now my goal for the rest of the year is to enjoy my golf.

Only dwell on a bad shot long enough to learn something. Instead of constantly trying to work out what I did wrong on a bad shot I'll try and identify what I did correctly on the good ones.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My target was break 90 in a comp, and get my handicap down under 20. Got no where near the handicap sadly, and shot a 91:(
I know the reason, I just haven't been able to play enough this year with moving house and changing jobs and god knows what else getting in the way. I'm not worried though, my swing is definetely improving and my putting getting more consistent. I feel like I'm only a few silly shots from making a decent score so hopefully a decent winter of plugging round and next season I will hit those targets!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Wanted to threaten single figures especially as my good mate Hawkeye has had a stellar year and I wanted to ride on his coat tails. Instead I have gone from 10.1 to 11.3 but I feel I am hitting it better an just not converting I comps. I've enjoyed the ride though and learning to play with less thought an relish the good ones and lose the bad ones as soon as they happen. I will get to my target. Just going to take another season.

Hallsy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Im 46 so decided now or never to play golf at a club rather than now and again. So became a member and obtained a handicap of 12 so target complete. Keeping the handicap from rising will be next years goal.

Last edited:

Linnets

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've been playing golf for about 12 years off a hcp of 28' never really taken the game too seriously. Mainly just rocked up and played with mates and at society events, never really won anything and usually came in somewhere around the 28 pts mark. I started to lose the enjoyment so I decided that this was make or break year for me, either I would get good enough at the game for me to get the enjoyment back or I would give up altogether.

I rejoined a club I used to be a member of back when I first started, purchased some GI irons which are much easier to hit than the TM R7 TP set I was struggling with and a new driver along with a couple of hybrids. I started visiting the driving range to seriously practice and develop a repeatable swing.

I have been entering the club competitions and as a result of some good scores have cut my handicap to 22 so a good result for me as I'm fairly consistent around that handicap, my short game is what costs me so I will be working on that over the winter so next year my target will be to get below 18.

I'm now enjoying my golf again so have no intention of giving it up.

HickoryShaft

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Target was to get to 16 as my winter game was in good shape.

First qualifier I got down to 18.0 so was on a high

Truth is that I have had some cracking games since - winning society days, a golf tour (scoring very well over 4 rounds recently) but every time I have had a qualifier I have lost it badly.

Sunk to a new low yesterday when I got back to 19.5 (20) so have undone all the early good work.

Been working on bunkers , putting, short game and it feels better but despite having some great holes pars / birdies etc there are too many destructive holes that mess me up.

Hmmm a couple of qualifiers left to get back to 18 not sure I can do it at the moment.

Deep breath....deep breath....deep breath

Albanach

Head Pro
Visit site
Joined a new club this year but having had a good winter practicing and my swing being better than its ever been I set myself a target of 6.5 at the beginning of the year. Sadly it's been another disappointing season handicap wise going back from 8.1 to 8.7. Not sure how much can be attributed to a new course which I'm still getting to know plus I moved house so had about 5 weeks where I played little golf and could found wielding anything from a paintbrush to a kango hammer instead of a wedge. I have tried to change my attitude on the course in accepting bad shots better than I used to and trying not to put so much pressure on myself which I managed to do yesterday but still scored a measly 23 points.I know there's a couple of good scores in me - I just need to concentrate more!!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Joined a new club in March and would say it's 2-3 shots more difficult. I would have been happy to stay at a 12 handicap as I learnt how to score on the course so am delighted to have dropped to 10. There's more in there yet as have shot a gross 75 and numerous sub 80's in practice/social/matches. Still get too wound up in qualifiers though and my putting tends to be the weak link so more work there required. I had aimed to play gazillions of qualifiers and learn to play them better/reduce the nerves but haven't achieved that part - yet. I started having lessons 3 years ago and set a target to play off 10 as a 5 year plan so got there early :thup:

D

Deleted member 17920

Only real Target I set was to enjoy my Golf.
Come rain, shine, hail or whatever, come good play, bad play, indifferent play I have reached said Target!
Well said, I have taken that approach as well. If I play well then great if I played crap then so be it. I have played some new courses this year and I have set myself the same target next year. I just enjoy the game the laughs that go with it :)

Bobmegrhen

Hacker
Visit site
Took Voluntary Redundancy in January so have been extremely lucky to be able to play 2 or 3 times a week. Starting on 27.4, I targeted a drop to 22 by end October. Got down to 24.5 by June but then treated myself to some new clubs (Callaway X hot driver and Adams hybrid/irons). This resulted in going back to 26 but have recently been a little more consistent and won a seniors medal a few weeks ago so hovering around 24.8 My fir is awful but my chipping and, particularly , putting have been my saviour. Last weekend, I managed gross 96, ( no 3 putts in the round) and 5th place in the main club comp (148 entries) so delighted and disappointed alternate weeks!

T89

Club Champion
Visit site
yep, started golf in march (28), and my target to March14 was to get to 19 :) Made it yesterday 19.0 :D

Davey247

Assistant Pro
Visit site
After a very ordinary couple of years, I just wanted to get in the prize money in the club comps and make to the stableford and medal final. Managed both winning a stableford comp and a 2nd place in a medal - both qualifiers for the end of season finals.

Unfortunately the s'ford final was on Sunday and only scored 30 points. Planned on practicing a couple of times in the week but instead playing GTA all week. Own fault really.

Next season, targets will be get down to 10/11 and have a good crack at the Northern Matchplay and the League to Dubai.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think I set a few...

Qualify for our Masters comp by winning a monthly comp: Check
Get my h'cap to 8: Check with extra checks
Get lowest gross in a comp: Work in progress
Beat my PB: Work in progress