Define 'Competition'

balaclava

Assistant Pro
Visit site
All competition rounds of golf must be submitted for handicap.

I believe that that includes ‘all 18 hole rounds of golf played on a measured course under the rules of golf and in accordance with WHCS and played for a prize.’

Is 'Competition' defined somewhere?

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
The WHS glossary describe 'Competition round' as

"Any singles competition rounds both 9 and 18 holes, whether played home or away that has been organised by the handicap committee."

Last edited:

balaclava

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The WHS glossary describe 'Competition round' as
"Any singles competition rounds both 9 and 18 holes, whether played home or away that has been organised by the handicap committee."

Does it then follow that any other (competition not organised by the HC Committee) . . . . 18 hole rounds of golf played on a measured course under the rules of golf and in accordance with WHCS and played for a prize is NOT a competition?

D

Deleted member 25172

I believe that that includes ‘all 18 hole rounds of golf played on a measured course under the rules of golf and in accordance with WHCS and played for a prize.’

If you don't tell then I'm sure your mates won't tell that you just played for the drinks afterwards and not handing your cards in. :censored::censored::p

Last edited by a moderator:

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Well, Recreational rounds are defined as

"All General play 'social' rounds that have been pre-registered will be acceptable for handicap purposes"

So if its not organised by the handicap committee, nor pre registered. Its not applicable to your handicap record.

As your playing for a prize, its still by oxford definition, a competition, just not a competition recognised or registered by the WHS.

balaclava

Assistant Pro
Visit site
While bearing in mind, if its played to the rules of golf over a measured course, then nothing is stopping someone pre-registering, and for them it becomes a whs compatible 'Recreational round'

The questions that follow are:
1. If that round of golf fits the definition of competition, is compulsory that it is submitted for HC or discretionary?
2. Where does it say in the WHCS rules that a round must be 'pre-registered' to qualify for HC purposes?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
1. Is this unchanged? Comps are Handicap counting unless pre-designated non-qualifier or made so for whatever legitimate reason.

2. Goodness only knows, but if you don't tell someone you want to "pre-register" how they heck will they know to add it? Otherwise folk will be selective on what they want to count. (good or bad depending on their motives)

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
1. If that round of golf fits the definition of competition, is compulsory that it is submitted for HC or discretionary?
2. Where does it say in the WHCS rules that a round must be 'pre-registered' to qualify for HC purposes?

Worries me a little that these questions keep coming up and I wonder how some clubs handled things in the past as basically this is as it has been for the last few years.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Rather than defining a competition the Rules of Handicapping define what is an acceptable round for handicap purposes

A competition does not have to be organised by the clubs committee for it to be acceptable. Some have said you still need to preregister such rounds for handiap purposes.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

2. Guidance on the Rules of Handicapping

G2.1a (2) Pre-Registration Prior To Play
In GB&I each National Union determines that it is a requirement that all rounds for handicapping purposes (other than those used for the Initial Handicap Award) must be pre-registered either through the computer software or manually. Entering a competition or being named in a draw or a booking system is not in itself pre-registration. Registration must be confirmed on the day itself in the manner prescribed by the club/Committee.
A round has not started until the player has teed off; and any player who for whatever reason does not start his/her round after pre-registering must be removed from the event and must not have a score posted on his/her handicap record.
Players who start a round but who do not play the minimum number of holes required may be subject to a penalty score (Rule 7.1b).
Players who withdraw after pre-registration without a valid reason acceptable to the Committee could, depending on the particular circumstances, be subject to disciplinary sanctions under the Terms of the Competition or Code of Conduct.
In submitting General Play scores, players must ensure that they do not breach Rule 5.2 (Practice) of the Rules of Golf.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I am wondering if the WHS changes for "preregistering" general play rounds, are leading some folk to assume that every time you walk on a golf course, it now needs to count for handicap???

I guess it provides the facility, and some encouragement, but not the compulsion.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am wondering if the WHS changes for "preregistering" general play rounds, are leading some folk to assume that every time you walk on a golf course, it now needs to count for handicap???

I guess it provides the facility, and some encouragement, but not the compulsion.

This - however on the initial briefings 3 years ago EG where advocating just that but after pressure from clubs and counties the idea was dropped.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I think this comes from what people know of or have heard about what happens in other countries. I believe it is the case in the USA for example but from what I have heard about playing there the rules can be open to a bit of personal interpretation in some groups.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

No but 'General Play' is.

General Play
When an organized competition is not being contested and golfers are playing:
l A casual round; or
l Competitively, but not in an event organized by a Committee.