Declaring a ball unplayable in a hazard?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have been thinking about this scenario in hindsight although didn't think or query the procedure at the time:

Player hits over water to a Par 3 and ball just hits land but on a steep bank so likely to have rolled back into hazard. Player takes provisional (saves time but not strictly correct??) and then finds said ball in hazard/reeds but potentially playable. Takes 2 shots at it which smacks it even more firmly into the ground. Decides to declare it unplayable and takes 2 club lengths no nearer the hole as relief.

As it was yellow stakes should they have in fact returned to the other side of the hazard or the tee and play again? I'm assuming their provisional is not acceptable as the original ball was selected for play?

Also, having originally found the ball IN the hazard could the provisional then have been declared the ball in play?

DCB

Visit site
the provisional is a red herring on this one as the ball may be lost within a water hazard. Upon finding the ball the player could indeed elect to try and play it. After burying it and deciding to take relief, then they would have to go back to the other (tee) side of the hazard as per 26-2 and the options available there.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rule 28 - Ball Unplayable

First sentence reads

"The player may deem his ball unplayable at any place on the course, except when the ball is in a water hazard."

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
how does all this happen to one person in their games? :)

if this came to me for a ruling I would say that the player, having played a second ball for a ball for a ball that was only going to be in a water hazard (from the description) has put a ball into play under 27-1 and that ball is not a provisional ball, but is now the ball in play (3rd shot).

when the player played the original ball in the water hazard they were playing a wrong ball, and got a 2 shot penalty. the good news was that the shots with the ball in the hazard don't count.

continue with the second ball played - playing 6

however, I sense that wasn't the question!

whilst you can't declare a ball unplayable in a water hazard (under rule 28) you do have the options under 26, which includes playing a ball from the last place played ie dropping back in the hazard where the first shot was tried from, after which if the ball is considered unplayable, the player has the option to proceed under rule 26-2 as already mentioned. I'm not going to try and explain all the options and you should look at the rule, and relevant decision explaining the options in more detail. Basically you get to do what you could originally done under 26 but for an additional 1 shot over and above the 1 shot under 26.....

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks guys. I sure play "exciting" golf!! Actually I think it's more the rules intrigue me and I feel it's my responsibility to know them so when a situation arises I notice it and a big ? lights up!

Playing again this morning so watch this space, although did manage 18 holes yesterday without incident :)