Dead iPod; salvageable or replace?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Listening to the iPod at work today, screen went blank and no music, got clicky noises from the controls for a bit when trying to revive it, they stopped, and now getting nothing. Been on charge for about 2 hours, still nothing. Official diagnosis; it's dead.

Has anyone had anything similar; if so, was it salvageable? It's an iPod classic 160gb, about 8 years old.

I will be replacing it with something, but I'm also at a stage where I need to put a lot of stuff onto it, so I could consider something different in terms of format and machine. I don't and won't stream; all my stuff is on CD and will be transferred onto a computer for transfer onto the new machine. Decent size storage would be good & the most important factor would be sound quality.

Oh, and please remember you're dealing with an IT numpty so speak slowly & clearly please. :D

D

Deleted member 16999

Take it to a Apple Shop, there, “Genius’s” will give you the definitive answer.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Cant help you really as couldnt stop thinking about the Dead Parrot sketch from Monty Python, so I would say your ipod is dead, unless its resting or stunned ;) most probably deceased though

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Can't help, but modern touch screen ipods are no where near the quality of the old ones. My 275 pound ipod touch barely limped out of the warranty period. Battery life was terrible.13 months old, and it's garbage.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I used to have the classic iPod which died in a similar manner a couple of years ago. I wanted to buy a replacement, but they don't make them anymore - some bollocks about a part for it that became too expensive to manufacture or something?? I think this same issue makes them difficult to repair.. although I could be wrong about that. Think you can buy a refurbished one, bit of a risk though.

Anyway I think the other iPods on offer are nonsense since they have minimal space and more gimmicks like a camera and games you don't need. In the end I just bought a 64GB micro SD card for £18 that plugs straight into my Samsung phone, so I just lobbed all my mp3s on that. Like you I couldn't be bothered with Spotify and whatnot, I just wanted to listen to the same mp3s I've carried around for fifteen years haha.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I used to have the classic iPod which died in a similar manner a couple of years ago. I wanted to buy a replacement, but they don't make them anymore - some bollocks about a part for it that became too expensive to manufacture or something?? I think this same issue makes them difficult to repair.. although I could be wrong about that. Think you can buy a refurbished one, bit of a risk though.

Anyway I think the other iPods on offer are nonsense since they have minimal space and more gimmicks like a camera and games you don't need. In the end I just bought a 64GB micro SD card for £18 that plugs straight into my Samsung phone, so I just lobbed all my mp3s on that. Like you I couldn't be bothered with Spotify and whatnot, I just wanted to listen to the same mp3s I've carried around for fifteen years haha.

Similarly, I went 128GB Micro SD card and use it in my phone, even if I change phone or break it, the SD card just moves to a new device.

My reasoning was different though, I had a 16gb Ipod Nano and have been digitising my vinyl collection but to FLAC format. The iPod did not like FLAC. So, £49 for the SD card and VLC player free download, it works perfect and the sound quality is excellent. Much cheaper than a new iPod and I always have my phone on me, so one less thing to carry around.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Still got my Walkman :) Don't use it but it's still up there in the loft in a box.

I found my old Sony WM-FX501 in the attic last year, still with the original digital controller headphones. Stuck it on eBay with a 99p start along with some other stuff thinking it would sell for a few quid... ended up netting me £220. Apparently there is a big market for certain original Sony Walkman models.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I found my old Sony WM-FX501 in the attic last year, still with the original digital controller headphones. Stuck it on eBay with a 99p start along with some other stuff thinking it would sell for a few quid... ended up netting me £220. Apparently there is a big market for certain original Sony Walkman models.

It's not one of these - it's a basic no frills mid 80-s model. Must go have a delve though - see what it is :) I can see that some 'vintage' models go for diddly-squat and no doubt that'll be mine...

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's not one of these - it's a basic no frills mid 80-s model. Must go have a delve though - see what it is :) I can see that some 'vintage' models go for diddly-squat and no doubt that'll be mine...

Some of the classic 80s models, if working and with the original orange foam headphones, go for stupid money. There are groups really dedicated to keeping old audio mediums alive.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Some of the classic 80s models, if working and with the original orange foam headphones, go for stupid money. There are groups really dedicated to keeping old audio mediums alive.

No headphones - and the spring on the cassette 'flap' pinged out decades ago :) But easy enough to find a new spring for the flap.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I still have a 10gb Ipod that I bought around 2003 I think. With the top charging port, and the box etc.
Might be worth a few bob one day.
s-l1600.jpg

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Similarly, I went 128GB Micro SD card and use it in my phone, even if I change phone or break it, the SD card just moves to a new device.

My reasoning was different though, I had a 16gb Ipod Nano and have been digitising my vinyl collection but to FLAC format. The iPod did not like FLAC. So, £49 for the SD card and VLC player free download, it works perfect and the sound quality is excellent. Much cheaper than a new iPod and I always have my phone on me, so one less thing to carry around.

Can you tell the IT numpty more about formats please Greig? There may be a plan...

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can you tell the IT numpty more about formats please Greig? There may be a plan...

Its just a personal preference thing Rich. FLAC files are less compressed and don't use "Lossy" codecs that eliminate background and white noise, making the compressed file soubd 'cleaner'. If I am ripping CDs then I will use MP format as its already a cleaned sound file for the most part.

When ripping vinyl, I want all the noise and everything associated with it, that's why it's vinyl, its got noise and hiss and pop.

Some say they can't hear the difference and FLAC and .wav files are just bigger and consume too much storage.
But then there are some people that say you cab't feel the difference between cast and forged 😉.

If clean sound and storage are your premiums the MP3 is just fine.