Damaged Clubs

gjfarq

Visit site
Hello,

I am a new poster to the forum but thought the expertise here would be far more useful than my speculation so finally joined to post this thread.

Unfortunately last month the block in of flats where i live caught fire and my property has been written off for demolishing and rebuilding. The contents of my property are not fire damaged but significantly water damaged due to the 20 fire engines on site putting out the fire on the floor above me. It has taken 4+ weeks for the insurance company to be allowed to empty my flat with the holidays and an unsafe building causing the delay.

My golf clubs were in the flat and have been sitting wet for 4+ weeks. Obviously if given the chance I wouldnt mind the opportunity of being allowed to replace them, but where do you guys think i stand with regards to that? Should the golf clubs be considered written off after 4 weeks effectively sitting outside damp. I have not been given the opportunity to see the clubs, but the person emptying my flat said they 'should clean up'. At what point can i legitimacy argue that they are beyond repair and where would you guys stand on these circumstances?

Thanks for any help.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I'd be putting them on the list of items you are claiming for on your insurance...(depending on your policy) How old are the clubs? Talk to claims team....depending on the organisation, they are usually really helpful.

I wouldn't say there was a length of time, I would say it depends on the state of them and your insurance cover! If you can get new for old, why wouldn't you?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
. At what point can i legitimacy argue that they are beyond repair ...

That would start with them being damaged - lying around wet for a few weeks is hardly damaging to most clubs. If they were hickories then probably but not modern clubs.

You have a responsibility to minimise your loss where possible so now you have them back you should dry them off - the question as to whether they have been damaged should then make itself obvious.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is likely that the grips may have deteriorated but not the shaft or head. You should be able to claim for re-gripping

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sound like a major claim to which a claims assessor would be appointed

Put them on the claim form

Claims assessors are always looking to reduce the value of the claim so are looking for things not to pay out on.

If in a few months time the heads/shafts start to show signs of damage eg rust then you can go back to the company and ask for the decision to be reversed.

It should be remembered that water gets inside the shaft and they often rust from outside to in so it can be some time for damage to show.

gjfarq

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies and for sharing your opinions on the matter. My personal opinion is that after effectively being outside for 4 weeks due to the roof not being on the building and the sheer amount of water that has been, and still is in the property, the clubs will be starting to show signs of rust etc.

As jim8flog pointed out not all damage is visible in terms of steel shafts possibly rusting or being damaged internally. At the very least i expect the grips to be needing a little TLC, but this is all speculation until i can see the clubs. I have been advised that the property has now been emptied so hopefully i'll soon see or get the loss adjusters opinion of the clubs.

Its not a case of me wanting to replace clubs that are just wet with shiny new clubs, i just dont want to be in a position where the clubs lifetime is significantly reduced as a result of the incident.

To be honest, id be gutted to lose them, finally got a driver i was hitting well, i had sourced a bargain of irons off ebay two weeks before the fire.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies and for sharing your opinions on the matter. My personal opinion is that after effectively being outside for 4 weeks due to the roof not being on the building and the sheer amount of water that has been, and still is in the property, the clubs will be starting to show signs of rust etc.

As jim8flog pointed out not all damage is visible in terms of steel shafts possibly rusting or being damaged internally. At the very least i expect the grips to be needing a little TLC, but this is all speculation until i can see the clubs. I have been advised that the property has now been emptied so hopefully i'll soon see or get the loss adjusters opinion of the clubs.

Its not a case of me wanting to replace clubs that are just wet with shiny new clubs, i just dont want to be in a position where the clubs lifetime is significantly reduced as a result of the incident.

To be honest, id be gutted to lose them, finally got a driver i was hitting well, i had sourced a bargain of irons off ebay two weeks before the fire.
Will a driver shaft go rusty? Does they contain iron these days?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hmmm bit of a dodgy claim in my view, might cause the insurance company to take a harsher look at your other stuff.
Modern clubs are used to being out in the rain on a golf course. ;) Bag, waterproofs etc, etc could be claimable,

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Hmmm bit of a dodgy claim in my view, might cause the insurance company to take a harsher look at your other stuff.
Modern clubs are used to being out in the rain on a golf course. ;) Bag, waterproofs etc, etc could be claimable,

Doon I'm starting to worry you need new neds or something these days with the tosh your spouting lately.

Huge difference to clubs being used in the rain for four hours maximum to clubs being left exposed to the elements for four weeks, being exposed to huge heat and then water. I'd certainly say the clubs have been compromised to an extent they're not safe.

RangeMonkey

Visit site
Maybe explain to the insurance company that your club heads, which are basically lumps of steel, will be swung at about 80 mph, and hit a solid object, with people standing in close vicinity.

Also explain to them that, should they refuse to replace your clubs, you’d have to hold them liable for any injury to yourself or others caused by breakage.

gjfarq

Visit site
Happened to be in a golf shop yesterday and was speaking to the pro about the situation and he said he'd have no hesitation providing a letter saying they are effectively written off. Apparently manufacturers dont even recommend leaving damp clubs in a car overnight never mind in a cold damp flat for 4 weeks.

He also went on to suggest that while the obvious damage would be to steel shafted clubs, you cannot assess what damage has been done to any glue on clubs too.

As i am still yet to see the clubs, and there being other larger items taking priority, it is all speculation at the moment, but it certainly has been beneficial to get everyone's opinion on the matter.