Cutting down counter balance putter

clarke_111

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can help me out-I won a odessey tank (no.7) putter (the older one-not works version) a while back in a comp. it is 38inchea though and far to long for me (I'm 5'7 and grip down on 33 inch putters!).

Thinking of getting this putter cut down quite significantly to 33ish and having a new super stroke grip added (with added weight back in or increased if needed).

Question is-will that work or will such a change totally ruin the balance. I like the look and feel of the putter, but can't cope with the length or the amount sticking out the top when I put-it's difficult to stop it anchoring I'm so short!)

Anyone with any ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Chris

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
imho I would sell that putter and then buy a 33" putter of your choosing, will be very hard to balance correctly changing the length that much

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can help me out-I won a odessey tank (no.7) putter (the older one-not works version) a while back in a comp. it is 38inchea though and far to long for me (I'm 5'7 and grip down on 33 inch putters!).

Thinking of getting this putter cut down quite significantly to 33ish and having a new super stroke grip added (with added weight back in or increased if needed).

Question is-will that work or will such a change totally ruin the balance. I like the look and feel of the putter, but can't cope with the length or the amount sticking out the top when I put-it's difficult to stop it anchoring I'm so short!)

Anyone with any ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Chris

The problem with cutting down a putter is a reduction in its swing weight. The Tank has a fairly heavy head anyway, so why not just cut it down and fit a normal grip (not a heavy one or with a oounter balance weight) and try it.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A mate of mine done away with his 'Super Stroke' after using my 'Ping C67' with a standard grip, I tried his putter with the 'S-S' on 'bloody horrendous' talk about disconnected, as for cutting it down the choice is yours, you can alway extend it again if need be !...

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
A mate of mine done away with his 'Super Stroke' after using my 'Ping C67' with a standard grip, I tried his putter with the 'S-S' on 'bloody horrendous' talk about disconnected, as for cutting it down the choice is yours, you can alway extend it again if need be !...

If SuperStroke grips are so bad, why do so many top tour pros use them? Fitting a SS Slim 3.0 grip has transformed my Odyssey putter! I have also tried a 5.0 grip on another (Ping) putter, but that is too fat and takes away some of the feel.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If SuperStroke grips are so bad, why do so many top tour pros use them? Fitting a SS Slim 3.0 grip has transformed my Odyssey putter! I have also tried a 5.0 grip on another (Ping) putter, but that is too fat and takes away some of the feel.

Absolutely no idea why all the pro's use em, I expected you to have realised that it was my personal opinion based on my own personal experience, if you feel that they provide the performance and feel that you require or that you really must have one because 'all the pro's use em' then that is entirely up to you, still won't change my opinion of em though !...:thup:

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Absolutely no idea why all the pro's use em, I expected you to have realised that it was my personal opinion based on my own personal experience, if you feel that they provide the performance and feel that you require or that you really must have one because 'all the pro's use em' then that is entirely up to you, still won't change my opinion of em though !...:thup:

I think that you are probably in a minority of one on this one!

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I think that you are probably in a minority of one on this one!

WOW :eek: how on earth did you come to that conclusion, may I be so rude as to suggest that you take a sneaky peek into other golfers bags every now and then, I'd bet that if I took a look at the putters of all the 650+ members at my club at least 75% would be using standard putter grips, at least 75% !...

2 out of the 3 people that I regularly play a round with have reverted back to a standard putter grip, the other one flat refuses to and that's only because he spent a ruddy fortune on it !...

Ps, a big sorry to 'Clark_111' for unintentionally hijacking your thread !...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It is very easy to cut down a putter and equally easy to lengthen it again if your not happy.
The only way you will find out is to try it.

clarke_111

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks all-I hadn't realised that lengthening again was an option. Since that negates the risk a little I think I'll give it a go and see

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks all-I hadn't realised that lengthening again was an option. Since that negates the risk a little I think I'll give it a go and see

You can buy extention spigots on 'eBay' but I just find a suitable scrap club and cut the required piece out of that shaft, Araldite is your friend from then on...:thup: