Cutting down a driver

evahakool

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I intend cutting down a Ping driver by 2 inches,before I go ahead I would like to ask for any advice if this would alter the characteristics of the club

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Will feel lighter I believe, although the flex shouldn't feel much different.

Apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but have you considered putting something round the top 2" of the grip as a marker and gripping below that for a couple of rounds to see what happens?

evahakool

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
No,I left my clubs in Edingburgh ready to come down to play Cooden, a pro put a shorter flex shaft in my driver last year and I lost no distance and I hit more fairways.

So I'm playing with my old set at the moment and borrowed my sons driver which is the same as the one I got shortened and I'm struggling with the longer shaft, I only hit 2 fairways yesterday and they were all shorter. I have another Ping driver
so the hacksaw is coming out:), just debating how much I can take off the length before altering the flex to much.

walliams8

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just done this myself at reccomendation of my pro . He told me there would be no difference to the club other than weight , a lot of pros on tour have there drivers cut down too .

Took me a good few swings to start hitting it normally again !

evahakool

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yea I got talking to a guy in Gamola golf in Aberdeen and he told me that most pros use shorter drivers than all the drivers in his shop, and it's just the manufacturers use robotic testing to market the latest drivers and say they can go farther.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Pro's have tour trucks messing with their clubs, so they can shorten it as much as they like and have the guys add weight back in other places to make it feel the same to swing.

Taking 2" off the shaft will reduce the swingweight of the club by 12pts.

You will definitely notice the difference, but you might like it or might hate it. I reduced mine by 1.5" and hated it so much I had to put a lightweight grip on to get some swingweight back.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yea I got talking to a guy in Gamola golf in Aberdeen and he told me that most pros use shorter drivers than all the drivers in his shop, and it's just the manufacturers use robotic testing to market the latest drivers and say they can go farther.
I wonder which 'pros' he's referencing; seems completely at odds with what those visiting tour vans are being told.
Pros use a driver for ultimate distance - if they want accuracy and less distance they use a 3 wood (however they have one set up) which also has the advantage of being outside the moi rules for drivers.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pretty sure I read somewhere that Bubba has his driver at 44.5" which is shorter than most stock drivers. Only reason I remember this is because I shortened my driver to 44" and it struck me as odd because he's about a foot taller than me!

evahakool

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I wonder which 'pros' he's referencing; seems completely at odds with what those visiting tour vans are being told.
Pros use a driver for ultimate distance - if they want accuracy and less distance they use a 3 wood (however they have one set up) which also has the advantage of being outside the moi rules for drivers.

He told me that it was most pros on tour that use shorter shafts than all the drivers he had in stock, I think he said most driver shafts are 45in but the average on tour is less than this.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
He told me that it was most pros on tour that use shorter shafts than all the drivers he had in stock, I think he said most driver shafts are 45in but the average on tour is less than this.
It's certainly the case that there are more at 44.5 than 45.5, and not a lot of takers for the full 48 permitted but in the context of this thread that's a long way from taking it below a standard 3 wood (43.5) by chopping off 2" from a 45 ☺ (if it even started that long)

evahakool

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's certainly the case that there are more at 44.5 than 45.5, and not a lot of takers for the full 48 permitted but in the context of this thread that's a long way from taking it below a standard 3 wood (43.5) by chopping off 2" from a 45 ☺ (if it even started that long)

So I will just chop off a inch off my 3 wood to even it up;)