Custom Irons Needed

reborn

Visit site
I'm fairly new to golf, and have only been playing this year. I purchased some golf clubs based on price, and coming in at £220 for the Wilson x31 I was happy to get a set of clubs that were cheap and I could play with my friends.

However, a year in and I'm still absolutely terrible, despite lessons and lots of practice at the range and on local courses.

I keep topping my Irons and I feel that it's because I am having to lean over the ball too much, and my swing is really suffering.

My handicap is 28, but when playing with friends this has been known to go to 36 just to make it a little more competative. I've gone round in 105 before, but generally I'm hitting over 120, even 130. It's depressing and I probably would have given up if it wasn't for a portugal golf break coming up in Feb.

I'm 6 foot 7, and have tiny little t-rex arms. Well, not that bad, but not really proportioned.

I've been fitted, but the golf shop didn't really have what I needed, and said I'm better off going online.

What I really want is a set of irons, 5 - 9 (plus 4 wedges) with a cavity back, over-sized head and 4 inches longer.
While brand isn;t everything, I'd prefer not to be questioning whether the clubs are duff or whether I'm just truly awful.

Does anyone have any recocomendations? I know 4 inches is drastic, but when you're my size and proportions it's pretty a requirement (else play a rubbish game and probably develop a back problem for your trouble).

I know you can't "buy" distance, but when 3 out of 4 iron shots roll about 10 - 20 yards only, it's pretty embarassing and frustrating. In the summer it seemed easier, as I generally just rolled the ball all the way to green after my drive, but in the winter it rolls less and it's highlighting it more (god forbid I have a bad drive, then I'm 3 - 4 shots in just to catch up with my friends drives).

Please help me out guys. :)

El Bandito

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Welcome to the forum - and the most frustrating game on earth!

1. Go see your pro.

have a lesson or two - not only will that help, he will be able to point you in the direction of clubs that feel better

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
While I'm almost certain you need longer than standard clubs, I doubt that it's 4"

I knew someone, a Pro, who was/is 6'10 and he 'only' used clubs 1.75" longer than Standard!

A Ping Pro Shop should be able to measure you and specify what clubs you are likely to need. That 'Static Fitting' is based on Wrist to Floor distance - and may well have been what your 'Fitting' was.

Good Luck

big_russ

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
4 inches? That is a lot and I am not too sure any pro would recommend going that long.

I am 6' 10" and only have 1" longer on my irons and use standard length woods-all custom fit.

Like others have said go and see your pro and get fit correctly and sort ant issues with your swing.

reborn

Visit site
What has your pro suggested ?

That I need cavity back clubs that are over-sized heads. He said he had those clubs, but they are not long enough for me in the store.

While I'm almost certain you need longer than standard clubs, I doubt that it's 4"

I knew someone, a Pro, who was/is 6'10 and he 'only' used clubs 1.75" longer than Standard!

A Ping Pro Shop should be able to measure you and specify what clubs you are likely to need. That 'Static Fitting' is based on Wrist to Floor distance - and may well have been what your 'Fitting' was.

Good Luck

He did measure from my wrist to the floor, but he spent ages doing other stuff too. My x31 clubs are actually 1" longer already, and I still look like Quasimodo hunched over the ball with toy baby clubs.

However, it is an interesting point that taller people can use even standard clubs, and some average size people need longer ones. Thank yuo for the reply.

Have you considered basketball as an alternative?

Thanks.

4 inches? That is a lot and I am not too sure any pro would recommend going that long.

I am 6' 10" and only have 1" longer on my irons and use standard length woods-all custom fit.

Like others have said go and see your pro and get fit correctly and sort ant issues with your swing.

I'll go to another pro shop and see what they say I guess. Although American Golf is usually pretty reccomended.

Does anyone actually have a link to a place that sells 3 - 4" longer cavity back, over sized clubs?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I can only imagine what 4 inch longer clubs would look like.

id say if a pro sorted out your posture you wouldn't need such long irons.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Interesting issue:

Have a look at some of this information and google for more as you wish.

The second article has a reply near the top from the guy who wrote the atricle (Nov 30 2011). He addresses some of the issues club fitters consider including the idea of not using 1/2" increments as a possibility for people needing longer lengths and the issues tall players with short arms can have particularly with the short irons.

http://wishongolf.com/do-tall-people-always-need-longer-clubs-or-short-people-shorter-clubs/

http://wishongolf.com/can-my-current-clubs-be-custom-fit-for-me/

reborn

Visit site
I can only imagine what 4 inch longer clubs would look like.

id say if a pro sorted out your posture you wouldn't need such long irons.

Yeah, I'm deffinately picking up on that I need to go to another pro shop.

Interesting issue:

Have a look at some of this information and google for more as you wish.

The second article has a reply near the top from the guy who wrote the atricle (Nov 30 2011). He addresses some of the issues club fitters consider including the idea of not using 1/2" increments as a possibility for people needing longer lengths and the issues tall players with short arms can have particularly with the short irons.

http://wishongolf.com/do-tall-people-always-need-longer-clubs-or-short-people-shorter-clubs/

http://wishongolf.com/can-my-current-clubs-be-custom-fit-for-me/

Thank you very much for the links, it was informative.

I'm going to a pro shop now to get fitted again.