custom fitted club changes

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I bought clubs off gumtree a few months ago which were fitted for the original owner.

Is is there a way of working out what the lie angle, loft or club face angles are compared to a standard club?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Take them to a Pro who has a loft/lie machine.
He can measure each club, check against standard values and adjust to your requirements.
Will cost a few quid but you won't starve because of it..

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Local pro did a loft and lie change for me for £1.50 per club. Most of the lies were okay (1 or 2 flat) but most of the lofts were out a degree or two. Peace of mind if nothing else.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Go online and get some of the impact tape that they use for fitting clubs. Go out and hit all your clubs and see what the results are. IF your a member of a club then go see your pro and he will be able to then adjust all your clubs to your specs.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You need to bear in mind what they are made off as cast irons are generally only able to be moved a few degrees without risking any damage. A good pro will be able to check them and advise on how much they can move them but it'll still be at your own risk

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
You need to bear in mind what they are made off as cast irons are generally only able to be moved a few degrees without risking any damage. A good pro will be able to check them and advise on how much they can move them but it'll still be at your own risk

My pro reckons he can bend most cast clubs by 4 degrees if necessary

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can custom fitting change the face angle so the club face is more open or shut?

Not in my opinion.

What you are effectively doing when changing loft and lie is bending the round section of the hosel near the face, a straight up or down movement in one of the two 90 degree directions. What you are after is a twisting action ( I bet you would not find a pro willing to try a twisting action on a cast club). There are different materials between cast clubs whilst some pros would be willing to bend soft cast clubs such as Vokey wedges, Ping there are probably and awful lot that would not touch a hard cast club.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not in my opinion.

What you are effectively doing when changing loft and lie is bending the round section of the hosel near the face, a straight up or down movement in one of the two 90 degree directions. What you are after is a twisting action ( I bet you would not find a pro willing to try a twisting action on a cast club). There are different materials between cast clubs whilst some pros would be willing to bend soft cast clubs such as Vokey wedges, Ping there are probably and awful lot that would not touch a hard cast club.

good to know. I questioned wether the custom fitted clubs were contributing to my hooks, but it’s it must be 100% down to me.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This just went through my mind. Having the club face set more open is not the same has ahaving a club with more offset (usually used to help counter slices).

The best advice I can give is to make sure the grips fitted are plain round and not ridged. If the ridge is in the wrong place for your hands it could be causing a closed club face when you grip, particularly if you are in the habit of relaxing the hands.

Try this simple test - grip the club as you would normally, bring the club head up to horizontal out in front you to the point where you are looking straight down the shaft (about shoulder height) the leading edge of the face should be vertical, if pointing slight left ie towards the 11 o'clock position and the club is closed.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can custom fitting change the face angle so the club face is more open or shut?

It's golfer who manage to do this rather than the clubs!

I agree with a lot of what Jim's posted about it but if you change the lie and loft relative to the fitted grip you are, in effect, adjusting the way the face will naturally align relative to the grip.

Personally I've always preferred non aligned grips and just align the club face to my eye anyway....if I it starts left I just open it a little (in the first instance!) for the next time :thup:

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One thing that might be happening is if youve moved to less-firm shafts that you are used to you can shut the face on the way down.

Ask the experts about that as i am not one of them!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
One thing that might be happening is if youve moved to less-firm shafts that you are used to you can shut the face on the way down.

Ask the experts about that as i am not one of them!

Indeed - once you bring the dynamic situation into things there are a whole load more variables! One of the reasons you should never get lies adjusted to your static position...and That's just the start.