Curtis Cup

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I can understand the lack of coverage on TV and from what I saw/heard the Sky coverage was terrible in terms of commentary on course reporting. However I think given the array of social medial and printed word there could have been a lot more made of the win if only to give the female game a boost in the hope of attracting youngsters
Which is exactly the point I was making…not one about TV coverage which was as extensive as might be hoped for. Not being reported throughout on the BBC Sport Golf pages was what I found disappointing…and not really surprised though again disappointed at the apparent lack of interest in the event in a community of golf fans.

Indeed that it has been dismissed as pretty much irrelevant - when it is the most long standing golf competition between USA and GB(&I), one instigated to foster golfing relationships between the two (three) countries, Pity.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
They showed all the afternoon Fourballs on Friday and Saturday, about 4 hours coverage each day and all the singles yesterday , about 5 hours on Sky Mix. That strikes me as very comprehensive coverage.
Goodness…surely neither @Homer Simpson nor I have to explain the difference between “on-line’ and TV in respect of coverage.

4LEX

Visit site
I went yesterday for a few hours as I had free tickets, really enjoyed it. Huge fan of Lottie Woad. Love it when a swing that isn't technically perfect delivers results. Way too many robotic swings in golf these days.

Agree with Hogan regarding the coverage, very little on BBC or even Sky Sports app. Had to look on the Curtis Cup website or Instagram page for updates Friday and Saturday.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Which is exactly the point I was making…not one about TV coverage which was as extensive as might be hoped for. Not being reported throughout on the BBC Sport Golf pages was what I found disappointing…and not really surprised though again disappointed at the apparent lack of interest in the event in a community of golf fans.

Indeed that it has been dismissed as pretty much irrelevant - when it is the most long standing golf competition between USA and GB(&I), one instigated to foster golfing relationships between the two (three) countries, Pity.

Ok let’s be honest about it

How many times have you taken notice of it when someone from Farnham wasn’t playing in it ?

How about the Walker Cup I suspect you didn’t say a thing about it when it was last on - which is the longest standing competition between the two nations not the Curtis Cup

And yes most of the golfing community won’t be bothered about the Curtis Cup just like you prob weren’t until a member of your club was playing in it

It’s an amateur competition at the end of the day , it’s not going move the needle too much on any main stream media - the BBC won’t be having reporters there to report on the event

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I was responding to Homer’s point “I can understand the lack of coverage on TV”
Or do you think Sky Mix is not a TV channel? Did you expect to see live coverage on terrestrial TV?
No…though tbh I’m not sure I quite know what terrestrial TV is these days.

The TV coverage was appropriate to the nature of the event…

I was simply surprised at the lack of coverage on-line on such as the BBC Sports Golf pages during the match - when surely there is as much space as might be needed to give it a mention - especially given it is one of the oldest, if not the oldest international match in golf.

And yes of course my interest is heightened by the fact of a Farnham member playing in it, but that did not increase my surprise at how little mention was made of it in places I thought would be covering it. It just made me aware and then surprised.
Anyway. It’s done and GB&I won for the first time since 2016, and only the 3rd time in the 15 matches played since 1996.

Some other takeaways here..

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I was responding to Homer’s point “I can understand the lack of coverage on TV”
Or do you think Sky Mix is not a TV channel? Did you expect to see live coverage on terrestrial TV?
I know it was on Sky Mix but as I pointed out the coverage was poor in terms of the commentary team and on line reporters. It was never going to be on terrestrial TV and it was for these "minor" events that Sky had in mind when it dived headlong into sports coverage. There isn't too many sports that aren't shown in some format (Pool, badminton, squash etc)

D-S

Visit site
The 15 year old that beat Lottie Woad in the singles looked like a good player, not sure why she was named after an ancient Gaul though.

D-S

Visit site
I know it was on Sky Mix but as I pointed out the coverage was poor in terms of the commentary team and on line reporters. It was never going to be on terrestrial TV and it was for these "minor" events that Sky had in mind when it dived headlong into sports coverage. There isn't too many sports that aren't shown in some format (Pool, badminton, squash etc)
I was commenting on your point “I can understand the lack of coverage on TV”.
I think the coverage was more comprehensive this year, we (my County) have had a couple of players representing GB&I and the coverage in former years was much less than this year.