Curtis Cup

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Fantastic last day. Shame a GB&I win not getting to much mention on any online news coverage
About as much coverage as the rest of the amateur sport played this weekend. Might be important to some golf fans but that is a very limited audience. Next you will want to know how the Red Lion got on in the Sunday League division 7🤣

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Fantastic last day. Shame a GB&I win not getting to much mention on any online news coverage
Agree…struggled to find mention of it on BBC Sport…which was v disappointing - especially given the history of the match and the number of Curtis Cup players who have gone on to win majors. These women and girls aren’t just your local pub football team…all are good enough to compete successfully at a professional level - and almost all, if not all, will. In fact a few will turn pro this week..I think Sarah Byrne is and Rachel Kuehn def is.

A great match and great result for GB&I. Went along Friday and Sunday. The matches were so tight and engrossing - and the play so good that I actually tended to forget how fantastic they were all scoring - even when losing. Miles under par. At the level on display Women’s golf most certainly cuts the mustard for me. Great stuff.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had to smile yesterday.

Watching the Tour Champs last night and they gave out highlights would follow. " We will not tell you the result in case it is a spoiler" at the same time showing a picture of the team with the trophy.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Agree…struggled to find mention of it on BBC Sport…which was v disappointing - especially given the history of the match and the number of Curtis Cup players who have gone on to win majors. These women and girls aren’t just your local pub football team…all are good enough to compete successfully at a professional level - and almost all, if not all, will. In fact a few will turn pro this week..I think Sarah Byrne is and Rachel Kuehn def is.

A great match and great result for GB&I. Went along Friday and Sunday. The matches were so tight and engrossing - and the play so good that I actually tended to forget how fantastic they were all scoring - even when losing. Miles under par. At the level on display Women’s golf most certainly cuts the mustard for me. Great stuff.

Surely you will know by now but in the grand scheme of things amatuer golf is way down on the list of events that any main stream media will be looking at

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Shame there wasn't more coverage but at least golf fans could find it easily enough... and if there's moans about coverage for AMs then phew, good job it was Pro golfers sent to the Olympics! (y)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Shame there wasn't more coverage but at least golf fans could find it easily enough... and if there's moans about coverage for AMs then phew, good job it was Pro golfers sent to the Olympics! (y)
I thought the Sky Golf and R&A TV coverage was pretty good - what I was talking about was the lack of recognition and reporting of the event on the BBC Sports Golf pages…There’s some there now but there wasn’t anything, or any that I could find, yesterday. And it was that what I found disappointing.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thought the Sky Golf and R&A TV coverage was pretty good - what I was talking about was the lack of recognition and reporting of the event on the BBC Sports Golf pages…There’s some there now but there wasn’t anything, or any that I could find, yesterday. And it was that what I found disappointing.
An amateur comp was competing for headlines against the Fedex final comp and a DP World Tour comp at The Belfry. Why would they give it prominence against those when the market for it is so niche?

Even amongst golfers an amateur comp barely registers.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

There was the British Masters , the Fed Ex Final

add in the Paralympics and the Prem League

Then a comp between two Lady Amateur Teams is not going make any level of imprint on mainstream media

They did have highlights last night on BBC

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I can understand the lack of coverage on TV and from what I saw/heard the Sky coverage was terrible in terms of commentary on course reporting. However I think given the array of social medial and printed word there could have been a lot more made of the win if only to give the female game a boost in the hope of attracting youngsters

D-S

Visit site
They showed all the afternoon Fourballs on Friday and Saturday, about 4 hours coverage each day and all the singles yesterday , about 5 hours on Sky Mix. That strikes me as very comprehensive coverage.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hmm. Just seen it on the front page of the BBC golf pages?