Cumbria flooding

• Thread starter Deleted member 3432
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3432

I would stop at home myself, weather warning for heavy rain again tonight followed by gales tomorrow.

North Cumbria to suffer worst disruption, River Eden most at risk which will affect Carlisle area.

D

Deleted member 3432

Glenridding Hotel flooded for the 4th time yesterday!

Flood warnings in place for many areas of the county again. Never known anything like the weather we have had since mid November.

D

Deleted member 3432

Here we go again, rain has been torrential for about 36 hours now and no sign of it easy up in the next few hours.

Travel just about impossible around the county now roads flooded everywhere. Looks like the River Derwent has burst its banks at Cockermouth so only a matter of time before homes are flooded there.

https://twitter.com/owenhumphreys1

Can't imagine its much better at Keswick and Kendal, only a matter of time before they flood if it hasn't happen yet.

Cars reported to have floated away from Lodore Falls hotel car park in Borrowdale. Not a good time for a holiday in the Lakes....

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Here we go again, rain has been torrential for about 36 hours now and no sign of it easy up in the next few hours.

Travel just about impossible around the county now roads flooded everywhere. Looks like the River Derwent has burst its banks at Cockermouth so only a matter of time before homes are flooded there.

https://twitter.com/owenhumphreys1

Can't imagine its much better at Keswick and Kendal, only a matter of time before they flood if it hasn't happen yet.

Cars reported to have floated away from Lodore Falls hotel car park in Borrowdale. Not a good time for a holiday in the Lakes....
Do you know how it is in Braithwaite?

D

Deleted member 3432

Do you know how it is in Braithwaite?

I would imagine it's grim. Keswick has some flooding but the flood defences are just about holding, Cockermouth flood defences are about to get swamped. I doubt that Braithwaite has not been swamped. The river Derwent down here at Workington has burst its banks and the water is flowing at an incredible speed. Its still torrential rain coming down as well ?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
To be fair the north will finally be happy then .. leveling up will have happened
I don’t understand is why the uk are still tippy toeing re climate Change. Don’t get me wrong ave never been flooded, but I went to wales one day and driving by Tewksbury the sight of the floods was astonishing.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
The country has had storms for centuries

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_natural_disasters_in_the_British_Isles

It’s a natural consequence of living on an Island surrounded by multiple different weather systems and winds

Not every natural excessive rain etc is always about climate change

And herein lies the problem. Waving it off saying it's "just Mother Nature"

even just a quick tot up on the link you provided;

between 10th century and year 2000: around 50 natural disasters (not including famine or sickness)
Since year 2000: nearly 30.

So it's definitely happening more often and climate change is a big part of the reason for that. But lets continue to not address it and see where that gets us. (y)