Cultural differences.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is another difference, there multiple opens "up here" and all usually with various sections for all handicaps.

There are exceptions to this, ferndown being one, they have a decent option for under 18 handicaps in their open week but it is stableford:eek:!!! Does that count?
But normally it’s scratch opens balloted out around 5 on a decent course, maybe lower.
Or, Vets open & mixed better ball, Texas scramble, bow maker or some other tenuous format!!

D

Deleted member 1418

Most opens near me tend to be team events. There aren’t many single opens for me to play in. The scratch ones get balloted out lower than my 7 handicap on any course worth visiting & there aren’t many at weekends, but that may be my limited experience

Ours is always on a Saturday, and it's individual medal/strokeplay (if you lot down there are different to us lot up here!!) 😉😂😂

I would say come up and play in it, but not sure my place will live up to your very high standards!! 😉😂😂

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You have a point there!!!😉😂😂

What is real golf? read Harry Vardon and you will find that he thought fourball golf to be almost an abomination - something Americans do that takes far, far too long and isn't really what golf is about.

Times change

Mixed Foursomes gets a big A++ from me - a pleasant but rather difficult challenge for both partners as they struggle to cope with the differences in each others games and thinking.

D

Deleted member 1418

Ours is always on a Saturday, and it's individual medal/strokeplay (if you lot down there are different to us lot up here!!) 😉😂😂

I would say come up and play in it, but not sure my place will live up to your very high standards!! 😉😂😂

Forgot to say that handicap limit is 18 and there's 3 categories for the prizes so everyone in with a chance.

D

Deleted member 15344

There are exceptions to this, ferndown being one, they have a decent option for under 18 handicaps in their open week but it is stableford:eek:!!! Does that count?
But normally it’s scratch opens balloted out around 5 on a decent course, maybe lower.
Or, Vets open & mixed better ball, Texas scramble, bow maker or some other tenuous format!!

There are a few scratch opens around here plus a few HC ones - there is always something to suit what sort of golf you want to play. 3 man team one seems popular

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Our open used to be medal, and ballotted out around a 3 handicap.

We canned it. It was just another Saturday when you couldn't play your own golf course.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our open used to be medal, and ballotted out around a 3 handicap.

We canned it. It was just another Saturday when you couldn't play your own golf course.
We’ve got one, a double header with stoneham, it gets balloted out about 5. I did think about it as a target to set myself to play in it, but it’s a long weekend of golf for x2 +0.1s

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
What is real golf? read Harry Vardon and you will find that he thought fourball golf to be almost an abomination - something Americans do that takes far, far too long and isn't really what golf is about.

Times change

Mixed Foursomes gets a big A++ from me - a pleasant but rather difficult challenge for both partners as they struggle to cope with the differences in each others games and thinking.
I may play in our mixed knockout next year if I can find a partner, just for the experience.
My criteria is between 25-55, lower than 18, with all her own teeth. I may struggle to find one :eek:

D

Deleted member 1418

Times change

Yep - times have changed............and obviously not for the better...........!! ;) :D

I'm playing in a mixed Greensome Sunday week - looking forward to it.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Stableford is strokeplay whenever you are

There is either Matchplay or Strokeplay -

Medal and Stableford are two forms of strokeplay

And then the rest of the statement is full of generics which are false - some clubs will have Stablefords as a main way of playing but some clubs will have medal - there is no set format at clubs below the wall

This.

Handicaps based on Stableford what ever form of strokeplay.
You just can’t NR a hole in Medal if you want to win the comp.
I always play with a Stableford mind because I want a cut. Don’t care much for a voucher.

Why are Scots always angry?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Because we have to put up with Sturgeon & Co banging on about referendums at every opportunity even though the majority of Scots voted against independence and Brexit wasn't a Scottish issue, but a UK one.

Ah - don't you actually mean Unionists banging on about what they'd like Sturgeon to be banging on about - when in fact she only really talks about it these days when questioned about it. Well that's the impression I get from 'down here' - and that's truly 'down here' as I stay in Surrey :)