Cultural differences.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
It's obvious there are some cultural differences between up here and down there, for example, you guys always seem to play stableford, where we are always strokeplay. Some call stableford, strokeplay, up here it's not, also you guys call it gross score where we call it scratch score....

What else is there ??

D

Deleted member 15344

It's obvious there are some cultural differences between up here and down there, for example, you guys always seem to play stableford, where we are always strokeplay. Some call stableford, strokeplay, up here it's not, also you guys call it gross score where we call it scratch score....

What else is there ??

Stableford is strokeplay whenever you are

There is either Matchplay or Strokeplay -

Medal and Stableford are two forms of strokeplay

And then the rest of the statement is full of generics which are false - some clubs will have Stablefords as a main way of playing but some clubs will have medal - there is no set format at clubs below the wall

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Lets no argue the toss on this eh, you know my take on this and you've said yours about a millions times.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
often hear people mention Opens down there, they have played 4 ball betterball comps, where we have medal Strokeplay as open HC comps

people ask where do you stay, when they mean where do you live.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
You guys always say went when you mean gone :)
What gets me is when they say ‘where do you stay?’ ....in the hotel down the road.

They mean where do you live??? :eek:
I don’t know if it’s geographical, but in English club Golf, there is too much emphasis on stableford & nett scoring IMO. I don’t think the incentive exists for golfers to get lower, but that might be a different thread

D

Deleted member 1418

Surely it's enough to say that we're all playing 'golf' in a number of different formats?

D

Deleted member 15344

Lets no argue the toss on this eh, you know my take on this and you've said yours about a millions times.
Just look on it as a chance to remove some of the myths and false perceptions of us “down here”

That same with Opens being 4BBB - Opens down here are a wide variety of formats from - medal , Stableford, Foursomes , 3 or 4 man teams , HC or Scratch trying to facilitate all walks of golfer - happy to help :thup:

D

Deleted member 23270

I don't understand what you mean by 'up here' and 'down there'.

I come from the Scottish central belt, does that make me up or down?

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just look on it as a chance to remove some of the myths and false perceptions of us “down here”

That same with Opens being 4BBB - Opens down here are a wide variety of formats from - medal , Stableford, Foursomes , 3 or 4 man teams , HC or Scratch trying to facilitate all walks of golfer - happy to help :thup:

Most opens near me tend to be team events. There aren’t many single opens for me to play in. The scratch ones get balloted out lower than my 7 handicap on any course worth visiting & there aren’t many at weekends, but that may be my limited experience

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Remind me of your handicap again.
Handicaps are irrelevant in Golf discussions, I can get it around ok but I know nothing about Golf. Look at homer as an example, handicap not where he needs it to be, but lives and breathes the sport.
If it was just single digit fellas posting it would be boring

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Most opens near me tend to be team events. There aren’t many single opens for me to play in. The scratch ones get balloted out lower than my 7 handicap on any course worth visiting & there aren’t many at weekends, but that may be my limited experience

There is another difference, there multiple opens "up here" and all usually with various sections for all handicaps.

D

Deleted member 23270

There is another difference, there multiple opens "up here" and all usually with various sections for all handicaps.

I'm trying to get golf accepted into the Invictus games, I think there will be all sorts of formats I can then enter. I'm particularly looking forward to the event where we all throw our wheelchair keys into a big bowl ;)