Crumbling during Medals

BigEasyERGC

Visit site
Starting to get really frustrated with my performances in club medals.

Bounce games or the odd round myself I generally score well and under my h/c.

As soon as I'm partaking in a medal, pressure is ramped up and I fall to bits. Anyone else having or had this problem?

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
One shot at a time, one hole at a time, and yes, we've probably all been there, as it happens I was one under for the last 5 today, just a pity the previous 13 weren't so great :ROFLMAO:

BigEasyERGC

Visit site
One shot at a time, one hole at a time, and yes, we've probably all been there, as it happens I was one under for the last 5 today, just a pity the previous 13 weren't so great :ROFLMAO:

Good to hear :ROFLMAO:

I had my best score going out, cue a total collapse on the back 9! :rolleyes: lol

Wolf

Visit site
This is where golf is played between the ears. We spend hours practising and getting technique down but once a competitive scorecard goes in the hand the internal mental battle ensues..

Key is like RandG says take one shotat a time etc. Need to find a way to loosen up the grey matter and relax. The game hasn't changed its still just another game of golf the only difference is the way your perceiving it and feeling like you have to perform because there's a prize at the end of it.. if you can manage to relax you'll be surprised what happens to your scores

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Actually, what you should do is enter open medals at away courses. Make it as tough on you as you possibly can. It's what I did this summer (mostly because my home course wasn't offering enough qualifier comps and I wanted more chances to better my handicap). I did not play well in most of them, in many cases it was the first time I played those courses. But the really cool side effect was: playing comps at my home course felt like the most relaxing thing afterwards. No pressure whatsoever.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
To be honest just play as many medals as you can and soon it's just like any other round. I actually very rarely play 18 holes if it's not a qualifier and I usually play about 60 odd qualifiers per year (includes roughly 15 away qualifiers in outside comps) not including team matches or club championship rounds

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Welcome along. You're not alone. Nowhere to hide in a medal and so you have to try and keep it simple, get rid of too many swing thoughts and plot the best way around, especially if you get into trouble. You simply have to keep playing in them and learn the art of scoring

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There are many ways to skin this cat OP, find what resonates with you...

I try to:

Just think about the shot in hand and playing what I’m capable of
Not try hero shots unless I’m Just practicing
Not think about where i don’t wanna hit it but where i DO
Pick clear and sensible targets
Rely on the best parts of my game, course management and shot game
Keep technical thoughts to the minimum required
Relish the challenge
Enjoy the company if possible
Remember it’s beats being at work
NEVER think about the final score whilst playing

Some days it works, some days it’s crap - that’s the challenge, right? Keep practicing good stuff and you’ll be alright...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've had several frustrating seasons where I've played really well in medal rounds for 15-16 holes and then chucked a couple of horror scores in to ruin it all and miss buffer with ease. Never the same mistake or on the same hole and I've worked really hard this summer on a better focus and mindset, picking better targets over the ball and having a mind free of technical thoughts. I have seen some improvements although if I am swinging badly as I did yesterday it's not going to make any impact. I do think you need to keep it simple and really focus on the next shot alone and make it the best you can. Far easier to type than to do in reality but for me it has to be the aim

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've played really well in medal rounds for 15-16 holes and then chucked a couple of horror scores in to ruin it all and miss buffer with ease.
I've seen a few people say something like this, but even in medal, do bad holes not get capped as double bogey for the purposes of buffer and 0.1s?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've seen a few people say something like this, but even in medal, do bad holes not get capped as double bogey for the purposes of buffer and 0.1s?
Yes but if you're on the cusp of the buffer, or even close to playing to handicap, three net doubles will still give you 0.1!! I've mastered the art of grabbing 0.1's from the jaws of a handicap cut.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes but if you're on the cusp of the buffer, or even close to playing to handicap, three net doubles will still give you 0.1!! I've mastered the art of grabbing 0.1's from the jaws of a handicap cut.
Thanks. I'd have to say that even by my chopping-about standards, being on the cusp of a buffer is not playing well for 15 holes.

Returning to the op, a couple of handy pieces of advice I've heard are :
1. Practice hitting ugly but effective prods on the range that will advance you up the hole even when you start to tighten up over the last few holes. Also handy for the last few holes of a tight match.
2. Practice playing the last 4 holes of your course over and over (this is when being a member is definitely not a rip off). These are the holes you need to be able to at least bogey when the chips are down.

Above all, remember that no-one cares as long as you are a good partner, and if you play often enough, you'll reach your level, good or bad.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thanks. I'd have to say that even by my chopping-about standards, being on the cusp of a buffer is not playing well for 15 holes..
I'd argue that if you've played 15 holes and are only a couple over handicap then you have a right to expect to be able to manage a bogey on each (net par as I get a shot on each) and finish +2 and in the buffer. Indeed I could even afford to go out to +3 off 14. It's when you big scores in coming home and blow that away thats annoying. The equation is very simple at my club. I need to shoot two halves of 42 (+7 gross) for both nines for an 84 less 14 and a level par 70 so I can easily work out where I am at any given time to handicap

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Thanks. I'd have to say that even by my chopping-about standards, being on the cusp of a buffer is not playing well for 15 holes.

Returning to the op, a couple of handy pieces of advice I've heard are :
1. Practice hitting ugly but effective prods on the range that will advance you up the hole even when you start to tighten up over the last few holes. Also handy for the last few holes of a tight match.
2. Practice playing the last 4 holes of your course over and over (this is when being a member is definitely not a rip off). These are the holes you need to be able to at least bogey when the chips are down.

Above all, remember that no-one cares as long as you are a good partner, and if you play often enough, you'll reach your level, good or bad.

Having read all the thread there's quite a bit I can relate to, especially your post. Some good advice there.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Set yourself reasonable targets, we are generally not as good as we think we are.
Sit down and work out your own individual nett par score for each hole and try to play that hole to that plan.
Only play shots that you know you are capable of. A consistent 200 yard carry from a drive that hits the fairway is achieved very rarely by most golfers
Don't get overexcited by a good start or despondent to a bad start.

Above all be honest with your 'bounce game' scores. You don't get gimmees and Mulligans in a medal.:(

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
so I can easily work out where I am at any given time to handicap

Do you feel this helps - knowing at any time how you are doing relative to handicap?

See, it's kind of hard not to know (or at least have an idea). But I find 100% focus on this ⬇
I do think you need to keep it simple and really focus on the next shot alone and make it the best you can
works best for me.

I.e giving each shot it's due attention and not worrying or caring about overall score or position relative to handicap (easier said than done)... when I start to focus too much on score it usually ends in tears...