Cruden Bay Golf Club

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As per title looking to gather some info about the Cruden Bay GC.Me and my other half finally decide to move to Scotland and found few houses not far from there.
Looking for some opinions from people who played it more than once ideally some members. How busy it is ? is there any booking system in play ?
I will be ringing club itself but just want see people opinions.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I only played it the once but absolutely loved it. I've played over 40 courses in Scotland and it's in my top three all-time. Some astounding views and golf holes. But I did play it on a very pleasant summer morning so you could work out the exact date from that description ;-)

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Brian (Hobbit) was a member here before he moved to Spain I think.
I’ve worked with a few guys in the past who were members here and loved it.
Loads of great courses around that area ??

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Not a member but live just down the coast and played it several times. Excellent golf course in fabulous condition. Anyone who's played it will tell you it's quirky in places however personally I think it's a fabulous layout. In normal circumstances they'd have lots of visitors over the summer but this wouldn't affect the availability of member tee times for weekend comps. The visitors effectively subsidise the club to keep memberships low for the locals, however I know they've taken a massive hit this year with no visitors.

The 9 hole course is also very good. You'll be well placed there to play the other excellent links courses in the area.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I watched the No Laying up review of Cruden Bay and was so impressed with it that all going well I'm going to play there next year.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Cruden Bay is an amazing course but more importantly an amazing club.

The little St Olaf course is a cracking 9 hole track. The clubhouse is superb and the food is lush. Always been members about when I have played there (30 odd times as the parents in law live up that way) and they always are happy to chat to you.

I wouldn’t hesitate to join there if I had the chance.

greenone

Visit site
Ive played all the links courses in the corner bar RA and Trump. Newburgh is okay so is inverallochy. Peterhead is a cracking course and fraserburgh is a nice course as well.

I play a decent majority of my golf in the winter so duff house is handy as it's down in a valley so fairly sheltered.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
Played Duff House a couple of of times on trips up that way, always been made to feel very welcome by everybody at the Club.

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all replies. Course looks fantastic but I'm little bit concern how easy it is to get a tee time when website saying 1000 active members.
If we move will have to check all the courses in the area

D

Deleted Member 1156

It is. Cruden Bay is 4.5 miles from my front door, £1200+ for first year, duff house was £380.
That actually seems like a crazy decision to me. You will end up spending the difference in fees for fuel in your car in the first year plus you have the inconvenience of driving 80 miles round trip every time you want to play. No popping up to the club for a quick 9 holes in the summer!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
That actually seems like a crazy decision to me. You will end up spending the difference in fees for fuel in your car in the first year plus you have the inconvenience of driving 80 miles round trip every time you want to play. No popping up to the club for a quick 9 holes in the summer!

Might only be 70 (or 90) depending on which side he lives! :) Using average running costs (ta Google) that's about £28 per journey. 2 rounds a month, that's additional travel costs of £672 per year.

Cruden's joining fee is £690 and subs are £165 a year more... so in year 1, you about break even, in year two, you are £500 better off playing Cruden! (based on 2 rounds a month, more if you play more!)

....I can only conclude there is one heck of a lass behind the bar at Duff House and you are going back to her's after golf!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

Might only be 70 (or 90) depending on which side he lives! :) Using average running costs (ta Google) that's about £28 per journey. 2 rounds a month, that's additional travel costs of £672 per year.

Cruden's joining fee is £690 and subs are £165 a year more... so in year 1, you about break even, in year two, you are £500 better off playing Cruden! (based on 2 rounds a month, more f you play more!)

....I can only conclude there is one heck of a lass behind the bar at Duff House and you are going back to her's after golf!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Ask Jobr about the woman behind the bar at his place, she could entice me into an 80 mile round trip! :ROFLMAO: