Crossfield - best driver over the years vid.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Last time I was on a launch monitor they had me tee it lower. The ball was coming off the face above the centre line, so the back spin was too high, with sub optimal run out. It looked odd tee'd down though.
Same happened to me on my recent driver fitting. I had been using orange castles, after about 10 minutes he told me to try it with pink castles instead. Left me wondering if the new driver got me extra yards or whether just using lower tees did - but hey, new shineys. :LOL:

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I tend to use white tees as I prefer the ball tee'd lower.
What the video convinced me of is that I don't need to worry about replacing my Callaway XR16 driver as there won't really be any advantage in doing so. ;)

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Same happened to me on my recent driver fitting. I had been using orange castles, after about 10 minutes he told me to try it with pink castles instead. Left me wondering if the new driver got me extra yards or whether just using lower tees did - but hey, new shineys. :LOL:
100% pink tees. It's all I use. Easily worth an extra 40 yards
The height doesn't matter, just as long as they're pink castle

Springveldt

Visit site
I switched to an Epic Flash a couple of months ago from a 2016 M1 as I found the ball speed drop off on miss hits was pretty amazing on the Flash. On a GC2 with the Flash my shortest carry was 237 and it was nearly off the hosel (best centre hit was 254) but with the M1 my hosel rockets were carrying 223 (best centre of 249).

The Flash was amazing for me at keeping up ball speeds as well as being about 2mph faster on centre hits. Managed to get one off eBay with the exact specs I wanted for half price on a bid (been on Trackman since with it just to make sure it wasn't a fake).

Dispersion was much better on the Flash as well, but I put that down to it being a natural 9 degree where as the M1 was a 10.5 and I was hitting it too high so I had lowered it to 9 and this led me to trying to close the face too much with a lot of big pulls, since I knew the face was open at address.

D

Deleted member 1147

I used to use pinks, switched to orange because I kept hitting it too thin and low. It turns out the solution was just to hit it better not tee it higher! Who knew!

My coach had me drop down to a white castle tee height, he said most amateurs tee the ball far too high.

In fact for practice he had me hitting off the deck with the driver

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't generally use castle tees but when I do I use pinks - I use wooden tees pushed in to pink castle height. I see that white castles are 1/3" shorter than pinks so will have a go teeing down tomorrow. I don't ever pick up any white castles - loads of pinks and oranges - but no whites. Maybe our shop doesn't sell them but can't imagine why not.

D

Deleted member 1147

I don’t necessarily use the castle tees, except for my rare forays onto the range.
But learning to hit up using a lower tee helped me no end. For me it was all about allowing the club head to catch up with the hands, because I had too much lag with the driver. With the higher tees, for some unknown reason, I wasn’t unwinding the lag into the ball. I was almost guiding the club head to the ball.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Oh dear.... I've always said I don't like him, but another interesting and thought provoking article from him!! ;) (Maybe it's his YGT Ads I don't like!)

I spent £140 on a new "previous model" Titleist driver when the TS came out... now the blooming TS is calling at me from the rack! Save your cash laddie!!

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
A best driver over the years Vlog and neither the SLDR or a white driver are featured?

Were we being fed BS?
Absolutely pointless doing every driver from every year, you can take a representative example from a year and as long as he is doing that he can prove the general point that little is happening in terms of driver technology these days. I know some dont want to believe it but it's TRUE.

D

Deleted member 1147

With the white drivers - absolutely!
Thing is, my R11 was a great driver(probably the best I’ve had). But when I got stronger, and massively increased my swing speed it was no longer fit for purpose, and I couldn’t get a stiffer shaft which suited it.
So, the white element may have been bull, but the club itself wasn’t!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Thing is, my R11 was a great driver(probably the best I’ve had). But when I got stronger, and massively increased my swing speed it was no longer fit for purpose, and I couldn’t get a stiffer shaft which suited it.
So, the white element may have been bull, but the club itself wasn’t!
I'll go with that
Nothing wrong with the clubs themselves...just the colour

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I agree. Shiels and Finch have done a number of videos with the said company and even been down to their showroom/storeroom. Good publicity and the ideal 2nd hand clubs for the video
What was wrong with the clubs they used, in what way did they not represent clubs of the years they were made ? He could be there all day hitting every driver model from every year going back years, it's pointless. He can randomly take out a few over the years and get the general picture