Cross Border rounds and handicapping

Swango1980

Visit site
Why not? It’s a fairly straight forward and easy option? Or better still take the cards home with you and give them to the handicap sec in person?
1. You need someone from the handicap committee to be available on the day to put in the player scores, if they are have updated handicaps for the following day. That may simply not be possible, depending who is on the handicap committee and their availability. Yes, they could bring the scores back for them to be entered at a later date, but doesn't help them get around the issue of having updated handicaps on the 2nd day.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have to remember that the US and Oz were the big players in moving to WHS. Given that very few of their players set foot outside their country to play 'competitive' golf, the idea of full integration at the sharp end would not have entered their minds. Further, I don't think they had the issue of multiple ISVs.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I understand the sentiment, but for reasons I won't go into this just won't work. In this day and age surely that shouldn't be necessary - especially if this is genuinely a World system?
This is exactly how you have to do it until the various governing bodies around the world link up. Scotland & England will be linked next year, not sure how many others.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
We have to remember that the US and Oz were the big players in moving to WHS. Given that very few of their players set foot outside their country to play 'competitive' golf, the idea of full integration at the sharp end would not have entered their minds. Further, I don't think they had the issue of multiple ISVs.
I am still - a year down the line - absolutely gobsmacked that they could launch a "world" system to so much fanfair that was actually nothing of the sort, and indeed within the UK actually worse than that it superceded.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am still - a year down the line - absolutely gobsmacked that they could launch a "world" system to so much fanfair that was actually nothing of the sort, and indeed within the UK actually worse than that it superceded.
Of course the mechanics of administration/implementation (IMO poor) is one thing and the principles of the system are another (IMO good).

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
My club is Welsh. I live close to the border and have asked in many English pro shops this summer (just for a laugh) of I can register my round for handicap.

When I mention Wales, they look at me a shrug their shoulders.

I take a card home and stuck in the box in our clubhouse. Progress eh?

The home unions won't cooperate with each other for the same reasons as many other things in life!

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Of course the mechanics of administration/implementation (IMO poor) is one thing and the principles of the system are another (IMO good).
I would agree on both points, except that the mechanics of the world system are also poor. The inspiration was worthy, what they've come up with is a total kirn

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You could always recalculate each players handicap manually - it’s not difficult.

I know within 0.1 ( rounding affect it) - what my new handicap will be within an hour of playing

Likewise. What i was trying to ascertain was whether we could use the handicap system as it is intended to be used. Apparently the answer is not yet without manual intervention.

So be it. We will play with the handicaps we start with.

D

Deleted member 3432

It's the need to keep your HCP up to date over a lads weekend that I thought obsessive, not the desired to play golf

But isn't that what WHS is wanting all golfers to do?

Problem lies in the authorities implementing a system that is not fit for purpose if you travel a few miles in the wrong direction and cross a border.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The problem is that no-one really understood the complexities involved in linking the world together.
The idea of everyone ultimately working to the same rules was ambitious enough. Given the major differences between the old systems, IMO they have made a pretty good fist of that part. The current differences may seem significant but in practice will have no material effect on handicap comparisons in the short term.
I don't believe the authorities really put much thought into inter communication. As I said before, GB&I is really the only area where large numbers of players move between different authority areas and as apps and covid were not really on the horizon, no one anticipated the need.

But now there is big problem to sort out. The software and how (and particularly when) it communicates.
As I understand it, there are a number of number crunching WHS databases around. The providers have a vested interest in there only being one. Some countries have live updates, some are updated daily. Some countries access their system directly others indirectly via an ISV competition management system.
Apart from the technical complexities, the commercial ramifications are immense and costly.
Who is going to pay?