Creating a repeatable putting stroke (tempo)

tomewer

www.tomewer.com
Hello! I'm new here.

I have a question about putting tempo; more specifically, how to create consistent tempo with your putting stroke. Basically, I'd like to get your feedback on what you think is the best way to practice creating a consistent, repeatable putting stroke tempo.

My extended thoughts are a bit too long to include here, but I wrote a post about it on my blog: http://www.tomewer.com/putting-consistency-repeatable-stroke/.

I'd appreciate your help!

Cheers,

Tom

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
welcome & good luck with the goal.

remember the low point of the putter swings arc always will fall opposite the sternum, so putter head should be opposite this position so you can then guarantee slight upwards strike through the equator of the ball, square face at impact plus better roll characteristics.

(above assumes stroke controlled by shoulders that just move arms {wrists don't move angle-wise} so putter shaft & head moves as one, so no independent angle changes between arms, shaft & putter head.

tempo a simple way to start to get a repeat tempo, rhythm, just simply count, 1 & 2 to yourself.

the count of '1' for the backstroke, the '&' for the change & through stroke the '2' to coincide with the strike. just do this on a 6 foot putt then whatever you find that that works out to be, then keep the timing of the "1 & 2" the same whatever the length of stroke for whatever length of putt.

where the putter head finishes in stroke length after the strike through, hold the putter head there in that finish position, better consistent results if you don't recoil the putter head back after strike. a balanced held finish position, a mini version the same as you'd hold a finish of a full swing through the ball.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I use the PING free App which can be used on a smartphone - gives you loads of stats including tempo.

Obviously it will recommend a PING putter but that's easily ignored.

Ian_Bristol

Head Pro
Visit site
I practice on my wooden floor to try and get consistent as it exaggerates the slightest of difference in my putting swing then do the same on the carpet. has helped me a great deal in consistency.

tomewer

www.tomewer.com
welcome & good luck with the goal.

remember the low point of the putter swings arc always will fall opposite the sternum, so putter head should be opposite this position so you can then guarantee slight upwards strike through the equator of the ball, square face at impact plus better roll characteristics.

(above assumes stroke controlled by shoulders that just move arms {wrists don't move angle-wise} so putter shaft & head moves as one, so no independent angle changes between arms, shaft & putter head.

tempo a simple way to start to get a repeat tempo, rhythm, just simply count, 1 & 2 to yourself.

the count of '1' for the backstroke, the '&' for the change & through stroke the '2' to coincide with the strike. just do this on a 6 foot putt then whatever you find that that works out to be, then keep the timing of the "1 & 2" the same whatever the length of stroke for whatever length of putt.

where the putter head finishes in stroke length after the strike through, hold the putter head there in that finish position, better consistent results if you don't recoil the putter head back after strike. a balanced held finish position, a mini version the same as you'd hold a finish of a full swing through the ball.

Thanks for the tip!

Club position looks pretty good; naturally in line with the sternum without me having to think about it.

Is your opinion then to rely on your natural, instinctive rhythm (i.e. what 'feels' right) rather than sticking to a rigid tempo?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sensible question, but how important is tempo? I take it back and through and just make sure the backswing is shorter than the follow through (to stop deceleration) and let my natural timing go from there. If I was worried too much about one-two or whatever thought you have to get a tempo it would get in the way. Personally I'm more concerned with a good stroke and square club face and let the tempo work itself out. Surely like the full swing, everyone has their own anyway?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Is your opinion then to rely on your natural, instinctive rhythm (i.e. what 'feels' right) rather than sticking to a rigid tempo?

I believe so! If you try and force something un-natural, you just create tension, which is even more of a killer of a putting stroke than it is of a full swing!

My major 'analysis/practice' thought is to keep the hips and head still. The rest pretty much takes care of itself if that happens - though there are a few tweaks about striking the ball and the club path (keeping the wrists quiet) that I return to as well.

If you watch the Pros, it's also scarily apparent how well they actually strike the ball, getting that 'good roll'. Those that mark a line-up line seem to roll it over and over that perfectly - try doing that yourself!

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the tip!

Club position looks pretty good; naturally in line with the sternum without me having to think about it.

everyone has a life tempo, way they walk, talk etc. way I see it doesn't make too much sense to go against that as then whatever you come up with is a ways too manufactured, first sign of pressure tension & usually if it's too manufactured it'll break down.

although not always good to look at all stuff against what the Tour does, but in this case think it holds true somewhat.
you look say at Snedeker walks pretty fast, talks pretty fast a kinda fidgety character so he has a quick routine pretty fast tempo, compare say to Donald much more laid back character walks slower, speaks more deliberately, has a smooth swing, a pretty slow-ish putting stroke.
things they both do that are similar, is commit to their own routine every time, commit to their own kind of stroke.
so both still have a positive acceleration through the ball on the green.
but both have completely differing tempos, but importantly they would both be able to count 1 &2 (albeit at a different speed) through the stroke to regulate the speed for any putting stroke they made.

just work out that 6' distance on a flat straight putt with a 'timed stroke' for you, match a 'count' to it, then you have something you can work too, to repeat 'your own tempo' whatever the length of putt you have, so you get a consistent stroke.

just need to make sure you're doing this with a sound reliable technique, with the only moving parts being the shoulders, arms & putter, keep the hand/wrist angles quiet & the same throughout the stroke.

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Funny thing is, I've heard Donald talk about short puts where there is not a consistent tempo. He says most amateurs decelerate into these putts. They don't make good contact. He actually accelerates into putts to make sure of good contact.

Started doing this a bit this year. Helps encourage a positive stroke!