creating a new society

jayceemcg

Visit site
Hi, I have been playing golf just over 1 year now, dont really know a lot about societies ect but i have had the idea of setting a society up for friends.
got interest from 8-12 of them so wondered if anyone here could give me some tips or advice on doing this.
Thanks in advance

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi, I have been playing golf just over 1 year now, dont really know a lot about societies ect but i have had the idea of setting a society up for friends.
got interest from 8-12 of them so wondered if anyone here could give me some tips or advice on doing this.
Thanks in advance

I run one for around a year after one that I was a member of stopped. I'd played for years and new the game pretty well and can honestly say it was the worst years golf I ever had.

* Constantly having to chase people for a simple yes or no if they would be attending.

* people blowing out last minute after you had confirmed numbers with the course the week prior

* not being able to please everyone with course choices

* constantly chasing for money

in the end I operated on a simple system, no membership by a £20 deposit. If you confirmed an event and pulled out last minute,many costs incurred by your cancellation would be taken from your deposit. Say a £10 cancellation charge. You could not enter the next event until your deposit was back at the £20 standing balance.

I'm all for arranging golf days but a monthly society...... I couldn't think of anything worse. Everything is expected, nothing is respected, and someone will always be pissed off

If I had to do it again I would do 12 members, from a close circle of friends, and each month take it in turn to arrange an event, I think if people honestly see how much work goes in you may find it more of a success,

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think I would baulk at monthly ones but the society page I mentioned works for my 5 a year and has cut down on admin and chasing. I do belong to a monthly one but as it's full of people on either flexable working or retired there are never any problems.